banding

sdds

Looks like bad jpg compression on the color gradient. But you say you see that on your screen too. That's weird. Are you seeing this in the frame buffer after the render completes or after you save the file, then open it in Photoshop or some other viewer?

c4d, and I don't think Ive noticed it before saved out as a tiff. Not jpeg comprestion, I render out at 8 bit maybe that has somthing to do with it. Hard to see on that size but on a3 its a pain.

c4d, and I don't think Ive noticed it before saved out as a tiff. Not jpeg comprestion, I render out at 8 bit maybe that has somthing to do with it. Hard to see on that size but on a3 its a pain.

Yeah, it looks like your gradient is getting smashed down into too few colors. Try upping that bit rate. Maybe save to 24 bit .png.

i was told an 8 bit tiff file doesn't use compression? does that mean it is an equal representation of your render output pixal for pixal? in which case isn't the problem he is having with the render itself?

loads of question marks cos I'm not sure :S

Thanks for the input chaps,

Yes the image has had ps post work, levels etc which have made the banding more pronounced but it was there on the rendered dock (re-rendered). The best cure found so far is using a neutral 50% gray overlay layer with 2% noise on the unedited image only. Apparently its caused by colours being very close together or something.

Most .tif files are 8-bit and your banding isn't a result of compression on the file itself - .tif's use a lossless form of compression (LZW) and unlike jpg's don't throw away information to reduce file size, they use algorithyms to replace redundant information. Google LZW and you'll find a lot of info about it.

My hunch is the banding comes from not having the GI settings high enough to approximate a smooth lighting transition on the ceiling. I know absolutely nothing about c4d, but experimenting with the GI solution and perhaps the lights as well may help.