a SunTool in VR package??

angroni

Hi Guys,

I would like to ask your opinion about sun positioning tool inside VR package. For this study i use EON Software. This suntool is like the SunTool in CAD (Revit, AutoCAD, MAX, SketchUp, etc) but its build in for immersive real-time visualization. Many VR software uses light and shadow Volume algorithm, but for architecture, we need this kind of tool for sun studies which they dont provide.

btw, this is not for commercial purpose but for academic.

==========================================

Here is a short explanation of it:

SunTool is a tool (prototype) in EON architecture Virtual Environment to provide values for sunlight angle based on user-inputs on time and observer’s location on the earth. The function is to enable users getting the real sun position for sunlight studies, visualize solar penetration and shading, observation-evaluationanalysis of architecture design in real-time immersive virtual environment.

Used in conjuction with “light” and “ShadowVolumeHard” node in EON
    software, SunTool can be used to create a scene for sunlight and shadow studies. User can change locations and slide the time to see the shadow changes in real time. For it is in immersive VE, user can walthrough the scene to experience the design effect on sunlight penetration into the building and shadows.

Features:
  • User inputs:
    - Slider for the date and month
    - Slider for the hour and minutes
    - Textboxes for latitude/longitude
    - Options for various locations
    - Options for time-zones
  • Display calculation results
    - Declination - Equation of Time
    - Altitude and Azimuth of the sun
  • Show/Hide Result display
  • On/Off Shadow casting
  • Zpass/Zfail Shadow Algorithms
  • Day Light Saving time
  • Instruction button
  • Keyboard shortcut:
    - Key “H” to show/hide SunTool Interface
    - Key “R” to show/hide result displays

=============================================

It will be great if you have some time to download these demo files, view and play within the scene for a while and tell me what do you think about it.

However to be able to view these files, you need EON-Viewer plugins. It is downloadable from EON Software website for free (Or these demo files will direct you automatically to the EON-Viewer download are once you double click it).

Here is the file:

• EON demo-file 1 - simple geometry (30Kb) -- download
  • EON demo-file 2 - using EON Seoul Demo File (2Mb) -- download

(If by any chance the files are not available, do send me a note so that i can check it)

And i really need your help in giving me feedback if you are available. :)

Pdf for Survey: -- download pdf survey

Please do kindly help me to send this pdf back to me after you fill it in and save it (it is interactive form survey) to my personal email ronianggoro@gmail.com.

Thank you very much.

Roni ^^

ScreenShot

SeoulImages.jpg

uh-oh..no one reply? :(

I've added the sunlight color-changing, but based on altitude angle rather than local time.

As we already knew, at low altitude, sunlight need to travel very far through the atmosphere before reaching the observer, which cause blue-violet color scattered all the way and our eyes only get the red-orange color. The higher the altitude of the sun, the closer the distance and the lesser the scattering of blue-violet color which make sunlight appeared white. And some moment before-sunrise and after-sunset (the sun is still below horizon = negative altitude value), indirect scattered light that reach the observer appeared blue-violet.

These color changing (of SUNLIGHT color and of SKY color) is depends on many variables in our atmosphere, which make it difficult to determined the angle of altitude at which the sunlight start to looked changing. In this SunTool, the code set the color of the light (the Sun) that casted to the objects, not for the sky color.

Here is the edz file. I try it at the simple-cone scene only. (See attachment)

If you are available, please fill in my survey form above and send it to me. :)

Thank you so much.