how on earth is this possible in viz?

matt_vinoir

this image is a max model in final render. The archictecture is by alberto campo beaza. It is so nice. Just the sort of light quality i want.

Tell me if this is stupid but, the actual building is really simple. What do you think if i were to model it and then for guys on here to import the model into viz and try to get a similar effect. This would be a learning tool for people like me just starting. We could then look at the files or read about what material settings were used for radioity. Lighting reflects textures etc. that makes it achievable. I think if i were to understand a few simple parameters that you guys use to make it look convincing i would be able to hard a solid base to start from.

At the moment i feel like a headless chicken running around clicking buttons here and there and not getting very far.

The other purpose could be for experimentation on what different effects and scenes can be created with the same model. Ideas for individualirty in that sense.

Is that a dumb idea? i won't be too offended honest!

I have all the plans of the building an pictures so i could get it all together. I feel that with some experimentation we can get some nice exterior images.

thanks for listening anyway!

Hi all,

Sounds like a wonderful idea for a contest imho. Someone delivers the very simple model, and everyone boosts it up with lighting, materials etc... Every participant can join once in several categories: Morning - Afternoon - Evening - Night.

Wonderful I think! A great plus is that even the most busy people can attend the contest ;) Lovely... are you reaching Jeff?

rgds

nisus

yup, i bet he's reached :)

i think it a good idea.

the reason (as you say) i dont usually participate in challenges is because i literally have no time, but if there was a supplied model and it was say a lighting excersize i'd love to participate.

i like nisus' idea of different times of day too

Ok, well if its just a contest, then there is no learning experience involbed for everyone else on the outside to benefit from. We can make this a contest, and then host the winning file for download so anyone can take it apart an examine it. That way we both have fun and learn from others without defeating Matt's idea, thus making this event a fun learning experience.

Does anyone follow my opp?

I'm glad you like the idea. Basically, like i said this would be a two tier project. First of all, for images produced that are effective and give a good feel ( not ness the best or most complex etc.) would make excellent files to disect. Material levels, what lighting etc. radiosity settings. ( not just viz 4 i'm not biased honest strat!!)

Secondly, and importantly for those who can produce competent images already. its a challenge to make intriguing images (at different times of the day, like is nisus)

with a simle palette for a model. My reasons for thesimple model are as you side, time. I have virtually none!!

Well, jeff post up a message if you think we should give it a go.

right i'll dig out the plans and model them up.

any file formats needed other than max?

Any other comments?

The model would be basic with a small amount of scope to alter for mapping reasons etc.

Also if i scan some photos of the house for you to see can i email them to someone to post as a package with the model file?

cheers,

matt

• Administrators

Yup I like this idea too! To keep it a learning experience I think that, as has been suggested, thier be WIPs posted and the winners of each category allow me to host the file for others to download so that they can see how it was done.

If everyone thinks this is cool, then I'll make a post about the new contest as soon as the model is done. If you make a 3DS, and a MAX file I will post it for all to download.

Thanks for getting this started Matt and for everyone's suggestions. I really appreciate the help. :)

I'm glad people seem keen to try it. Although i'm a newbie with viz, i feel that there can be a lot we can achieve. I got a tutorial file and began to dicect it. I learned so much. I actually feel really bad about all those dumb questions i ask cos you can find out how to do it from looking at a good complete max file.

I'll crack on then. Nisus, i'll send you over the file and the photos to check for any inconsistancy before i mail it to jeff.

Thanks for doing it jeff, i reckon this is going to be a real leap forward for us newbies in getting a solid base to look at and take our time learning without asking all those questions.

Can't wait to the effects the pros can produce too!

Guest sturm

Al right, I use XSI, so I can use .iges and .eps files and soft3D/xsi files of course.

So it is possible to supplies me with that kind of files or if you have blues prints I will take those.

Thanks

Hmmm! I think there are going to be a few different catagories for renders! I think i'll just use a 2b pencil.

If i post up the model to jeff i'm sure he'll be able to post up all the different files needed.

Can you difine what we should do then jeff so that we can stick to the point as it were for what we want to both achieve and importantly for me learn!