motion blur in architecture walkthrough

HeDaCoM

hi, Which are the best parameters of motion blur I have to ser in VIZ to make a relatively slow walkthrough?

I'm confused, object motion blur? image motion blur? post-processing motion blur? is it very important to apply a motion blur effect?

and.. by the way.. which is the best method to render an animation sequence of TGA's into an AVI file?

Thank you so much :)

[ May 21, 2002, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: Hector ]

and.. by the way.. which is the best method to render an animation sequence of TGA's into an AVI file?

Hey Hector, the only way I know to acomplish that is by using compositing software such as After Effects or Combustion. The way I do my animations is to render single frames into a folder and then import them and viola. I hope this help. if not let me know

Hi all,

If you use max, you can change your tga-sequence into an avi in video post.

Here are a few tips on blurring:

- blur as less as possible to save rendertime. If rendertime is not an issue i'd suggest subframe-blurring using videopost. This is a blur that depends on camera-motion so to speak. It can also be combined with motion or image blur

Setup a camera in videopost and click the scene blur option.

Choose to subdivde every frame in at least three frames, duration 0.5, 1 or 2. Max will render the subframes and than compose them on each other, saving them as one frame. The program does have to render every frame a couple of times, so rendertime will be multiplied by an integer (i.e. increase a lot!)

This is not an option in viz as it has no video post!

- motion blur: for fast moving OBJECTS. The amount of blur depends of the relative distance the object moves.

Blur will be added before and after the object: this is correct for animation, but does not look like it on still images (because we've seen to many 'unreal' cartoon blurs)

- image blur: for fast moving OBJECTS. The effect is almost the same as motion blur, but you have control over a multiplier to set up the amount of blur/distance of blurring.

rgds

nisus

thanks.. is it correct to use image motion blur for architecture walktrough where the only moving object is the camera? is it the same as applying motion blur in combustion or any video editing tool to images rendered without motion blur? in that way it would be gast to adjust motion blur without having to render again all the sequence. I'm always talking about a whole scene blur for a walktrough, not specific objects blurring.

yes, I think the best way to convert tga's into AVI is using the MAX video post.

I dont have viz in front of me right now,

but if its included like it is in max,

try the Ramplayer....load up the tga images, and hit the save button.

alot easier then mucking around in Video post

Hi Hector,

is it correct to use image motion blur for architecture walktrough where the only moving object is the camera?

Yes. Image blur is for moving CAMERAS / Object blur for moving OBJECTS. (Unfortunately, you can't apply an image blur solely to your camera so you have to apply it to your whole scene. A simpler but not that cost-effective way is the subframe blur)

is it the same as applying motion blur in combustion or any video editing tool to images rendered without motion blur?

Honestly, I don't know.

rgds

nisus

Wolf: RAM player has a limitation... RAM. I don't have enough RAM to load 3000 frames. but yes, for short sequences RAM player is nice.

nisus: I have done some tests and image motion blur of VIZ gives me better results than motion blur of a video editing software. maybe viz uses in some way the Z-buffer information to generate blur and a video software don't have that information in a simple TGA.

tnx Hector.

Viz does not use z-buffer information for blurring. It just uses the camera-displacement (which is of course related to depth/z-buffer, but's it's not the same)

I've done some testing too since the post.

I've come up with a strange result:

If you add motion blur to an inanimate object, but the camera is moving, it blurs the thing.

Why is it than called motion blur if my object is not moving?

nisus

you mean.. if you apply object motion blur to the inanimate object?

motion blur is really quite confusing. heh. there are many ways to blur... there is also an effect called motion blur. in Effects.

in MAX (not VIZ) theresis a motion blur multi-pass effect in camera properties. and in Video Post there is the scene motion blur with all that subframe stuff.

and of course the traditional properties of object motion blur and image motion blur of the scene objects.

I think using the effect is enough for a architectural walktrough.. and if there is a car moving or something moving... you can play with all other parameters. :o