multiple objects in a scene that increases

the file size?

basically, i have an auditorium with about

300 seats. i don't know where my cameras

will be, but i'd like to somehow insert

the seats in there without the file becoming

so big.

help would be appreciated.

hi trey, you can use x-ref objects from the file menu. first inset your deat in their correct possition, then select all of them and x-ref them, a new window will open up so you can create a new scene to store the seats in. check hide geometry in the x-ref dialogog window before returning to max. you can even link the file to low poly seats. anyway i hope this help, look up x-ref in the help menu for more in depth info and help. :) bye

Hi trey,

Try this (in order of importance):

1) Xref: this should keep filesize down

2) Low-poly instances that you'll later on change into a hi-poly: another alternative but filesize will be a bit bigger (but still manageable to work on)

3) Instances: the hard way

4) Copies: NOT a good idea

rgds

nisus

Correct me if I am wrong, and maybe detail the correct procedure.

I would model my high res chairs then spread them into possition in my scene, I would instance them I would guess (copy option) and then select them all and x-ref them and maybe link the x-ref to a few low res chairs in strategic posiitons (viewport). and then continum working...

Hi Trey, I just finished doing an auditorium with around 1500 seats. I did the chairs as blocks in Autocad and then inserted the dwg into viz and it read them as instances, so what were around 300mb of chairs (I checked) ended up being around 5mb, much more manageable. You will still have the polygons to render but it is much easier to move around.

I don't know how to upload an image here, but I even used a bit of radiosity,not on the chairs though.

Hope it helps

Gonzalo