what mouse do you use?

i'm starting to get a bit of wrist pain and am needing to look for another mouse. Currently I use a Logitech MX310 which is great (cheap and well made) but would like to offset carpal tunnel for as long as possible.

current ride:

26-104-136-03.jpg

i've tried this Microsoft piece but it was even worse and I didn't have the control:

pcpartscollection_1954_1387321.jpg

Are there any mousing products that you guys "swear by"?

thanks and proust

I have been using a Logitech Marbel FX trackball for 10 years (or more?). I will never throw it away before there is no plastic left on it, or it stops functioning. It's the best mouse I've ever used. Kind of hard to find nowadays though, as Logitech stopped making them years ago.

I found one on amazon for $277 !, so it looks like I'm not the only one that love them ;)http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-TrackMan-Marble-FX-Trackball/dp/B00000JBUI

They can be found cheaper on ebay though: http://search.ebay.com/logitech-Marble-FX_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQfromZR40

Worth every penny :)

Logitech Mx518 with 3m memory foam mousepad. The 518 is a big mouse, fits under your palm, two fully programmable buttons. It does have a cord, but I dont notice and have been using wireless for a long time. A smaller mous require more wrist input to move around compared to a mouse that fits under your palm. And the on the fly sensitivity adjustment is very usefull.

$411.00 for an old used mouse, has the world gone mad...
Well, they are very good... :) I'm actually considering buying a spare one while they are still available. Mine must have been "working" for about 20,000 hours, and never a glitch. It works just like when new. And I used to wear out a new normal mouse in a year or so..

• Administrators

I used to get pains in my wrist as well, but I found a great deal of the pain went away when I raised the side arm on my chair to the same height as might desktop. That way my complete arm is supported and I only need to move my fingers and wrist.

I use the Intellimouse Explorer 2.0 from Microsoft. I've been using the model for about 4 years now, and really don't want to switch. I tried to adjust to one of the new ergonomic ones form Microsoft but had to switch back. My hands a just too big for it.

Mice I won't consider:

Any symmetrical designs. There's no reason that we should deal with write pain and long term issues just because manufactures want to keep costs down. I'll pay more for a good mouse!!!

Track ball types like the logitech one above. I just can't get the same control out of it.

By the way, that Nostromo thing, I saw one for 39 bucks and was thinking I'd try it out. Is it that good? How do you use it in your workflow?

By the way, that Nostromo thing, I saw one for 39 bucks and was thinking I'd try it out. Is it that good? How do you use it in your workflow?

you have 14 finger buttons, 2 thumb buttons, a 8 way pad and a scroll wheel. You can program all of the buttons and have a different program profiled which kicks in when a different app is used. its all on a very comfortyable left hand 'joypad'. I got one for 25 bucks on ebay. It works out just like a more efficient keyboard for the left hand and becomes more intuitive than the keyboard regular shortcuts. I use it for max, autocad and photoshop so far (and a couple of games).

Nostromo pad is great especially when you're moving around from office computers, you can program the pad with all your favorite hotkeys, so which ever max machine you're working on, you won't lose any production speed.

I use the Logitech MX Revolution, but my fav is still the MX700, great for playing Unreal Tournament. Anyone use Zboard?

I've also used that Spacepilot from 3DConnexion, but wasn't too happy with it.

thanks for all the replies lads! I have yet to purchase anything new but am going to stay away from the trackball things since their native wrist positioning is what seemed to generate the most discomfort in the first place.

I'm really thinking of picking up the Nostromo from Belkin... too thanks for the link!

I'm headed to the store this afternoon to "test drive" a few of the current mouse offerings on the market.

proust!

I have being using a A6 Graphire Wacom tablet for the past few years, (cannot afford the flashy models with lots of on-board buttons) best investment I have ever made, 20% faster than a mouse. No more stress on the fingers and wrist, though it did take a few days to build up the right muscles in the upper arm.

I would not recommend the A4 or A3 for what we do, there is too much workspace, and you end up flailing around too much.

I use a very ordinary Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical. Since it is symmetrical I can use it with my left hand (even though I'm right-handed otherwise). One reason I like it is because the two buttons and wheel have a lighter touch than some others I've tried. But I wish the overall size were a bit larger to fit my hand better.

It seems there are not many devices available for use with the left hand, but perhaps I haven't looked far enough.

Richard