Rendering a floor plan

cadjockey

Hi all,

What's the most effective way to create a floor plan view for rendering in Mental Ray.

Do you place a camera above the building and then clip the view or do you place the camera at ceiling height of the room?

Also, how is this view given light?

cadjockey

erm, i've attached one here, not sure if thats what you mean but its a project i'm workin on at the minute, all i've done here is position the floor plan in perspective view, you could add camera if you want, then i just placed a skylight and enabled final gather in MRay and voila. This was jus for my testing tho

I believe in vray you need to have the ceiling on or else you'll have to account for light escaping through the big void.....

make your ceiling non visible to the camera in the properties and you should be good to go.

Even though I am referring to Vray, I would assume the principle applies.

Hi there i am new to this forum. I have done something which i think is similar to what you want to do.i am sending you the web link of my web site which shows what i have done. Have in mind that i used radiosity with a skylight and a direct light, not mental ray. here is the link check it and i can send you the max file if you want. http://www.3dgs.com/Portfolio/Portfolio8/portfolio8.html

Michael

I have done a more finished version of what DaveB posted, but the problem with that is, there are a few walls you end up not being able to see behind. A solution is to make those walls slightly transpatent, but I don't like the looks of that. I think Afterglow's solution is much more useful for the client. The only thing it is lacking is door openings.