Does scale of model vs texture size matter?

swenson

Hello. I have a very beginner-type of question.

I have imported a model of a city block into 3ds Max and have attempted to apply a wood texture to the faces of the building (to simulate a wood model).

I can't see the grain of the material in the preview. I have already gone in to the preferences section and config'd the driver to show high res textures.

My question is. Is there a standard approach to matching the texture resolution to the model? Currently, I am going in to the map settings and adjusting the tile size up and down...but because I can't see the texture, I am not sure which direction to go...and whether my model is way too small or way to big.

Also, do textures scale with the model once they are applied?

Like I said, very beginner-type question.

Any response is greatly appreciated.

Sam

the best way to apply textures is to use uvw map in the modifier list, for several reasons. you can use the gizmo's inside the modifier to move the texture around, and you can accurately scale and resize the texture using the settings.

if you cant see the texture on your model, open your material editor, open the diffuse area, and press the "show map in viewport" button. (looks like a blue and white cube).

and yes, if you scale an object the texture scales too.

hope that helps ya!