Subdivs. and Resolution

Tim Saunders

I just wanted to get some opinions on how some of you come up with the subdivs. and rates for your different renderings.

I will typically get my images looking the way they I like them based on an image no larger than 800x600. However, 90% of my images need to be rendered at around 3000x2000. Everything in Vray seems to be on a per pixel bases so I try to adjust things for my final (full resolution) renderings. The "formula" I have come up with is nothing mathimatical, but based on trial and error. For my irradience map, once I like the quality of the lighting in my smaller rendering, I change from the preset, and subtract 2 from both the min and max rate. This has usually worked fine, but other than that, I have not made adjustments to any other settings.

I assume I should be doing something similar to my AA settings and light cache settings? Has anyone come up with any actual formulas on how to simply calculate what my settings should be for a high resolution version, once I am happy with a low resolution image?

I don't know exactly about AA but about LC - LC viewdependent only if u are using Screen mode, but if u use World mode it becomes much closere to photon map because sample size is not percent of screen but size in world units of your sample.

So I'me using World with min 1500 samples (depends of your sample size) with 25-50mm sample size, saving to map then map from file + prefilter 50.

AA - just AQMC 2-4 with 0.002-0.005.

And I definitly change my subdives in rQMC properties.