Italian building

harryhood

Here's an image I've been working on. I have quite a bit of reference from this Italian courtyard, and I've chosen a closeup view. Rendered in Max 9 with a spot light and skylight.

I still have some minor modeling I need to do such as finish the window shutter, railing by the left steps, and some plants (not sure how I want to go about plants right now). I also need to dirty up the textures some more, add some variance. I'd like to hear any feedback if you got it. Thanks.

ETA: The floor right now is just a plain with a texture+bump. I tried a displacement modifier (max) but when I rendered it, everything was much darker. Not really sure how that happened, but If I have to I'll just add another light.

• 2 weeks later...

been a while since I've worked on this, here's some plants put in. I'm not crazy about them, but I'm not sure what else to do about vegetation. these are free models found on turbosquid and other similar sites. and ideas, or crits on any other aspect of the image?

Hi

Its comming along, not to sure about the stone path the blocks look to high from the mortar. The steps material looks odd, like the wall texture. The handrail looks alittle 'thin'.

Ive attached a couple of web sites you might want to check out , also a ivy generator not tried it myself but it looks ok.

Keep it up

for your floor texture

http://www.arroway.de/textures/01/en/index.html

http://www.designspot.net/creativespot/tutorials/t11-painted-stones.php

Ivy generator

http://graphics.uni-konstanz.de/~luft/ivy_generator/

I changed the texture on the wall, the steps are next. I've been working on getting a good plaster look, will it peeling and everything but I'm having trouble getting it to look right. I have a lot of reference, its just the execution I'm struggling with.

I changed the texture on the wall, the steps are next. I've been working on getting a good plaster look, will it peeling and everything but I'm having trouble getting it to look right. I have a lot of reference, its just the execution I'm struggling with.

hi what look are you going for on the plaster, if its weathered then i think i might prefer the last post. Will take a closer look later, its 6am in the morning here on a bank holiday monday and my 10 month old just got me up.

here's after some playing around with that ivy generator. it's pretty cool, but i had problem with textures. I had to export the vines and leaves separately to apply different textures, and no textures appeared in the generator's workspace (it looks like it does on demos however). I'm still trying to get the right size, shape.

I also adjusted the wall and steps textures some. comments/crits welcome, thanks.

Hi josh

Realy like your step material now it works well with the wall texture

The Wall texure again looks nice, As you say the ivy still probably needs abit of work but not had chance to use it myself yet so cant tell you the best way to go.

The door doesnt look quit right theres no contrast , it comes across to black.

The general lighting looks spot on

Keep it up