3ds max to rhino in IGES....Very Urgent!!!!

nivvu

hi guys....

iam trying to export a mesh model from 3dsmax to rhino in iges format....

1st time when i tried to export model in mesh format 3dsmax crashed due to sme error......after some trails i have found that converting model (removing the modifiers which i have used on the model in max) in to mesh avoids the problem of crashing......so i did it....

when i was exporting in iges format its saving to .XLO format......i dnt know y its happening like this......

again with sme trails i tried to export the mesh from 3dmax to iges format with the 2d drawings on undhidden which i used for developing tht model in 3dsmax......then it got converted to iges format.....

when i imported iges format file to rhino...only the 2d drawings which i have used for developing mesh in max has been imported in rhino through iges format.......

wat my question is y only the 2d drawings are getting imported in rhino without the mesh being not imported since i have exported everything from 3dsmax.........

hpe u guys understand this and plz let meknow about the solution asap.

my deadline is 18hrs from now......

regards

nivas

Try exporting Geometry as OBJ-Format. You can even keep simple Materialsettings and Layers. In most cases it gets even Texturemapping right. If You get Problems with messed up Normals try the simpler 3DS Format. If You have Meshes in Max it makes no sense exporting as IGES. Use IGES for NURBS not for Meshes. For Linework You can try DWG also.

thnks alot for the lines but....

as u said i have given my client in .obj format and .3ds format earlier itself ......

but my client wants the max mesh in iges format .......so tht he can proceed with further work.....

is there no way to import the mesh in iges format with out error..??????

thanks in adv ance.

nivas

Max is horrible with IGES, and anyway, if your client wants an IGES model for Rhino he wants nurbs that he can edit in Rhino. If your Max file is mesh, an IGES format won't do him much good - mesh and nurbs are completely different. Unless the contract says you need you need to provide a nurbs model there's a pretty good chance it's a veiled unreasonable request.

Your client needs IGES for Rapidprototyping or something similar? The Problem is that you have a Meshgeometry which is not supported by IGES. If You need IGES You will have to convert the Mesh to Nurbs. Depending on the Meshsize ist can be a very timeconsuming Process because Your Meshfaces turn into Nurbspatches. They will need more RAM too. Check with Your Client if he can read STL too (Its often used for 3D-Printing and works with Mesh)

Convert Mesh to Nurbs

The Max-way:

-Rightclick Convert to Editable Patch

-Rightclick Convert to NURBS

Export as IGES

The Rhino-way:

-Import OBJ or 3DS Mesh

-Type _MeshToNURB (only works for Meshes with less then 20,000 Faces)

-Clean up with _Join _MergeAllFaces (evtl. Timeconsuming) _ShrinkTrimmedSrfToEdge

Save as IGES

Cheers J.R.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...