More Advice on Becoming an Arch. Visualizer

njohneer

Flyingarch's thread on getting into architectural visualization has been very helpful. Here is why I want to get into arch. viz. and my plan on entering this field, including some questions. I'd love your help for my particular situation.

Reasons:

1. I love 2D drafting in AutoCAD.
  2. 3D drafting is far more interesting to me.
  3. I want to move up in my career. I believe learning arch. viz. will help me leave the 2D world behind.

4. Based on this site's 2006 salary survey, I can double my current income by becoming an architectural visualizer.

Plan:

• I wanted out of IT. I wanted out of customer service. I learned a new skill: AutoCAD. I got a better job using that skill.
  • I’ve become very good with this skill. I have my eyes set on managing others using that skill.
  • I believe I’ve gotten 90% of what I can get out of my current position. There is no where to move up or around in this small company.

• I want to move to a bigger company that rewards innovation and values continuing education. I believe a larger company will provide me with the resources I need to experience many types of CAD operations and software. I also want a company that offers me the ability to try different positions and jobs, and also to move into a supervisory or managerial position.
  • I do not believe that I can get into a larger company with the skill set I have. I must acquire something else.
  • I do not want to return to school for another degree like engineering or architecture. These degrees are a sure way to get into the biggest and best firms, but I do not have time for that now. I need another way in.
  • I am willing to learn a new skill.
    • Revit is very popular. It is the software architects need to know. However, I have not seen where simple draftsmen use this software. Draftsmen are being replaced by architects who can design directly in the software.
    • 3D Studio Max is the next most popular software. The bonus here is that one does not need to be an architect to get a job as an architectural animator.

[*] Architectural animation can get me into a big company. Once in that company I will be exposed to even more career options. This company will offer me the flexibility to move up in my career, possibly CAD management.

[*] Architectural animation can increase my salary greatly in a short amount of time.

[*]

[*] How will I pay for software training?

• Learn modeling from my architect and modeler friend. I could work for him while learning the trade. All the while every dollar being saved for training. Learning modeling will teach me what I need to know about reading architectural plans for arch. viz.

• How much money will I need?
      • Upgrade PC: $400
      • Software? I can use the free 30 day trial. Otherwise I can get a 1 year student version for $200 at journeyed.com. But if I'm not a registered student, then what?

• Online course? Self-taught in books? Attend a training workshop? What's the best way?

[*]Before I learned of arch. viz, I was interested into moving toward CAD management. Is arch. viz. an entirely different direction from CAD management? Can arch. viz. help me into management?

[*]Is 3D Studio Max the best software to begin with? Or can I use VIZ? What are the main differences?

• How much time will I need to invest to learn visualizing? That is, how many hours am I looking at before I can expect to be hired?

You can see my thoughts are swirling. I jump from CAD management to Modeling to Arch. Viz. and back again very quickly. What is your expert or experienced opinion? I truly appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Nathon

Nathon,

You did kind of ramble there - but I think you at the least presented your position clearly. Here are a couple of comments from my perspective - these are MY opinions, and may not be shared by others.

Your desire and drive to move up to a larger firm is admirable, however your experience and background don't currently jive with what larger firms are looking for, as you identified. If you look at the gallery here - the level of work that you will need to achieve as a visualizer candidate for these firms is lofty, and may take many years (if at all) to achieve. Likewise - CADD / technology management at this level is played on a whole different level. You need a vast and varied background, and the type of technology resume that takes years to accomplish.

Learning 3D modeling under the tutelage of your Architect friend would be a good first move. But don't expect that modeling will teach you how to read architectural plans - rather the other way around. It can not be emphasized enough how critical this is - big firms won't even consider you unless you have a thorough understanding of and can read plans.

As with any beginner - I would encourage you to use "free" softwares when available to develop your skills and experience. Start with the free sketchup and model anything you can. While all 3D softwares are similar - they are also very different. If you get really good at one - the transition to another is much easier. Revit is the future in the AE industry - but it is so design based and oriented that unless you truly understand what it is that you are modeling - it will be a struggle.

While they may not come across that way - my word are intended to be encouraging. I hope they are of some help to you!

Dean