Archive Solution.

As would I, can't help feeling that i'm missing something that would make life easier. Its getting to be a pain with default stuff, and being the IT nerd and Artist and Programmer and.. and.. and.. makes it a pain to keep up the time to do all this silly (but very needed) archiving.

Ours is somewhat simple currently.. we have a Raid5 (5 drives) main file server with all current projects on it, its incrementally tape backup'd by the parent company, tapes offsite

and also a Raid5 (3 drives) secondary file server that serves up archived projects that are likely to resurface, when something is moved to the archival server, its burned onto several DVD's, stored offsite.

I guuess it would depend, on what you do. if its vizualization, documentation, etc

and what sofware you use.

For what I understand of your archive solution, Are you meaning how to organize files: if so read as follows, if its just naming and backing up , refer to botom

What I use, is a root folder, in it, the names of customers, inside those projects, inside projects: CAD/MAx/Images/Comunications/Quotations and fees

CAD: with the original files

sub folder CAD: with purged files to send to 3DS

Max: max scenes, saved incremental

subfolder:Maps (particular maps UVWnrap) and irradiance

Images: raw and post produced images, each in a folder (Tiffs, PSD, etc)

Comunications, all emails and coments, meetings etc.

Quotation and fees, schedules of work, hrs of work, payments done and due, etc....

Thats the basic thing I can think. I find more thing to put and more things to take out every time.

For naming:

If its for cad what I use is the following: MSMA0P0001

That is read as: MSM (client) A (discipline, in this case architectural) 0 (relative scale of drawing, in thiis case 1 to 1) and 0001 the version

Dont know if this is what you were looking for, I hope it helps, if not, drop a line,

:)