80 Storey Office Building

tommyjj

hi everyone,

My work at the moment seems to be almost all residential and small to medium scale, so I feel like i need to do a large commercial building for my portfolio (and to impress the ladies like)

I ran a few ideas over in my head, then on a drawing board and came up with this...

render12ap0.jpg

bloody hell that's massive! sorry

i intend to make it a lot snazzier, but for the time being i'd just like to know what people think of it and, most importantly, find out if it has been done before. Hopefully i'm not inadvertently doing something that has already been done!...

All comments welcome, even the rude ones.

This looks good for The Tower part, now you need a lower front entry area

with some kind of facade or architectural entry feature, at least 2 or 3 floors

how about a Guggenheim parking spiral in The back, you got To have some parking

compact cars can park on The inside of The spiral, SUVs can park on The outside of The parking spiral

with a curly-cue sky-bridge connecting The Tower with The parking spiral

even Twin Towers could be a good Thing, dont worry if someone else has

already done This design, you are working on a portfolio for yourself

and what is This with impressing The Ladies? possibly break The vertical

floor spacing with a mid-level 'plaza' or some kind of exterior alternate scheme

just some etc ideas, This is pretty wild, keep it up That will impress The Ladies

Thanks

maybe we could do a CGA city scape of wild and crazy bldg ideas

and Then clobber That Together for an interactive kind of fly Thru

??

randy

couple of years ago we did a project for a building in Dubai that had a full rotation. Here is somathing interesting... At a time, it was an engineering achievement to rotate it a full turn and have the building stand. However all airspace around the building was going to be declared a no fly zone as the down draft around the building would of been so strong it would of taken the helicopter right down. We even did an animation for the whole thing... All i remember was having a tight deadline and suffering through the project...lol

i was thinking about making two towers but it looked very like a twisted world trade centre... i think i'm going to make a two-level enterance; one at normal ground level and another sub-level below that, the upper level connecting with drawbridge like walkways.

(large intake of breath)

To get the shape i made a simple block in 3ds max with 80 height segments, then used 'twist' modifier to twist the tower through 180 degrees, then deleted all but the lower most segment which became my ground floor. I then snazzed it up with windows, window frames, floor, ceiling, structural beams etc, grouped it all together...

(second large intake of breath)

I then used the 'Array' tool to create the tower by making 80 copies of the ground floor moving incrementally up 3 metres and rotating 4.5 degrees each time.

obviously it's a little more complex than but i think that gives a pretty good idea of how to make something similar.

The lift shaft structures and the 8 outer beams would share the load of the floors.

I had made an attempt at a building that had two towers twisting round a notional point between the two, rather like a DNA helix, but couldnt work out a sensible way of providing a continuous lift shaft all the way up the inside of each tower... other than putting the lift externally, which ruined the look.

Textured using some pretty basic Maxwell textures and rendered in MAxwell with the daylight system.