Reflective Occlusion experiment

shaneis

Hello all,

here is my latest in a set of tests. Trying to fine-tune my Occlusion passes, and testing a "new" occlusion material that takes vectors from given light sources. The "ctrlOcclusion" renders are the newer shader, the "ReflectiveOcc" is th built-in mentalRay occlusion shader.

All rendered in Maya with mentalRay. I know the differences are quite subtle, though I'd like your opinions on which is the more "realistic" of the three.

Thanks,

S.[ATTACH]22276[/ATTACH]

Thanks for the input guys, that's great news...the image you all chose uses the ctrl_occlusion shader, which uses set light sources to calculate the occlusion, not a uniform hemisphere as with ambient occlusion. The best part is that it renders in approximately 1/10th of the time!!!

I found it a MyMentalRay.com, not sure if you can get it for Max. Will post a link if I find a max version.

S.

I'm a bit curious as to what may have caused the white specks on the tiles in 2 and 3. For that reason alone I'd have to choose image 1, although a ghost of the specks can still be seen in that image as well. I love the concept of shower with a buddy.....

I'm a bit curious as to what may have caused the white specks on the tiles in 2 and 3. For that reason alone I'd have to choose image 1, although a ghost of the specks can still be seen in that image as well. I love the concept of shower with a buddy.....

The mystery spots... just reflections from the "lamp shades", but forgot to photoshop them in those two. A bit rushed at the time.

Yes, the buddy shower, I saw this done in a house I worked on a few years ago. Thought to myself, "now that's a damn fine idea." Must have made an impression on me, The "house" this render is from was meant for a secluded riverside holiday house...would be hard to go back to work huh?