people that uses vray for sketchup come inside please

1eo

What are the it limitations compare to lets say Max-vray?

Right now I use maxwell, which it has its own application (studio) where I can import more complex models for the final composition without killing sketchup (poligon count)... does vray has something similar?

leo

Hi, i know i read somewhere about vray and sketchup free but just couldnt find it. Any of you guys know whether the sketchup version (pro or free) affects the output of vray? (vray meaning full version, that is)...

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the kerkythea heads up, AJ!

I think the info is a bit sparse on the VRay site. It doesn't mention anything about if it is possible to add non-SU objects and instances etc, which would be very useful for exterior scenes with lots of 3D trees etc. It would be impossible to work just inside SU with very high polycounts.

Is it possible to do that, like 1eo asked in his first posting?

And how about adding lights? SU doesn't have other lights than the sun, so in some way it has to be possible to add some "external" objects?

...hmmm, I see

this is an example of what I do in Maxwell/SU

FEICK007low.jpg

as you might imagine, I need an interface like studio to do my final composition with all the trees and stuff as Skecthup will not work too well at 4m poligons

leo

Thanks for showing examples.

I don't really need VRay either, as I'm quite happy with using SU + LightWave. But I'm always interested in alternatives. If VRay can't use anything else than what is loaded directly into SU I don't think it's that attractive. Some LW users are quite envious on SU, Blender etc because they get VRay, while LW doesn't have it. The newest LW 9.3 have a very fast and good GI render, but as everybody seems to be using VRay (like here on CGArchitect) we tend to think that VRay is so much better.

Maxwell isn't really an option either, both because they have had some very unhappy customers and slow development cycle - and because it renders so slow.

As far as freeware rendering engines for SU goes, is there other options other than Kerkythea to explore. I have Kerkythea but for some reason I just cant get a rhythm going and becoming frustrated due to it is supposed to be easy.

Lately it seems i spend more time learning new packages than finishing projects and I would like to find a engine I can stick with and move on.

• 2 weeks later...