Sustainable Interior

DsgnVsualization

The design was for a woman who has severe asthma and is unable to tolerate any chemicals as this exacerbates her condition. The furniture finishes and paints contain low or no Voc’s (Volatile Organic Compounds) Everything is made of organic cotton and hemp materials, the wood ( recycled wood ) furniture is finished with water based finishes and non-toxic adhesives etc… This was incredibly hard to design and make it aesthetically pleasing due to the limited amounts of resources in this area. It basically contributes to better indoor air quality. This is a growing area of interest in the Architecture and Interior Design communities. I hope this helps explain what I meant by Sustainable Interior.

it is good to see people in the 3d world starting to approach this subject. ..for the most part, it is an area that we have not dealt heavily with in visualization. i am sure there are more than a few things that we, as visualizers, can do to promote and enhance sustainable design.

anyone that deals directly with architecture knows that the buzz around this concept, and this word in general has been gaining substantial momentum in the last couple of years. it is really unclear how much of this is simply because of marketing, and how much is because people are realizing that the designed world severely effects the environment that we live in.

anyway, back to your image, is this a renovation or a new build? ...i am asking because there does not appear to be natural light in the scene. natural light should be considered part of sustainable design. you wouldn't want the person using electricity all the time to light the place. also, what about the furniture? ....is it also free of harmful products?

I am actually writing a research paper/ graduate project ( Visualization) for my final class in graduate school. To answer your questions - Yes, everything is chemical free etc.... such as organic cotton, wood is finished with water-based low-voc finishes, FSC certified wood etc... It is actually a renovation and I have done sun studies but this is just a backdrop with a couple of lights in it for furniture modeling/material expermientation. They will be put in the major file with correct sunlighting. I hope that sustainable will not be just a fad but become a major factor in design that should always be considered. I am interested in the sustainable design process and using visualization as a tool in the design process. Still alot , I mean a whole lot of work to go ;)

i don't think it will become a fad. the upfront cost is more expensive, but i believe it is a lot less than what most people realize. it usually only takes a couple of years for a new building to earn it money back and then save additional money based on the choices made during the design process.

...not to mention things that i don't think have been accurately studied and measured. things like general health of people who work in spaces that have are designed to certain LEED standards, both mental and physical health.

i could give you my argument as to why one of the most hated companies in the U.S. (WalMart) is also one of the most important companies when it comes to promoting the benefits of green design, but i will save that for another day.