Skydomes: interior / exterior?

nisus

Hi hector,

I haven't used texture skies either.

I am not sure I understand you're way of using the exterior checkbox. I think it does not apply to using a IES sky/sun or not, but to the fact if you're rendering an interior or an exterior.

Could you pls explain your view a bit?

From my point of view, I don't know if a should handle an exterior covered by a sky dome as an interior or exterior. Does anyone else?

rgds

nisus

From my knowledge it only affects IES sky and sun, viz won't know if you are in the house or outside the house with your camera. I don't know if it affects the other types of liminaires/lights. Is there an advantage of using a skydome over IES Sky?

Hi cyclops,

Just one question: If viz does not know the difference between inside or outside, than WHY is their an exterior checkbox?

(I think the user has to tell viz whether it's an interior or an exterior.)

rgds

nisus

Hi Nisus,

I noticed that if you unclick exterior on an exterior scene which is done with IES sky/sun it renders hugely overexposed.

I imagine that if you do an interior scene and have the "exterior" on, you end up with a very dark render. But this happens only if you rely on IES lights, sun and/or sky with normal parameters (sky multiplier 1 and sun between 80000 and 130000 lux for instance). So "exterior" affects exposure, regardless whether you are in the house or outside. That's how I understood it. :)

I noticed that too.

And it's quite understandable.

When you look from inside a house with a camera thru a window, you see what a difference in lightintensity there is between inside and outside!

biggrin2.gif

Hi guys,

If you use regathering on an exterior view scene, your image will look very dark as in comparison with what you get if you render without regathering.

I find this quite alarming and unexplainable. So, if you suddenly decide to use regathering you need to recalibrate your lights?

And what happens when you want to regather only certain elements in the scene?

I think this only applies when exterior sun and sky lights are used.