Weird result on Vray rendering

estyl

Hi to all

I'm just making a study about how to light a room in a realistic way.

My problem is following: every time that I activate QMC as a secondary bound, I have some ugly dark grey areas all over my walls and floor (see TEST1 file).

--The material used for the floor and the wall is a simple VrayMtl, totaly white as diffuse color, no reflection, no refraction and no map of any kind, just a pure mat white (as you can see on the test it looks more grey than wite).

--the 2 lights, on the ceiling, are VrayLightMtl, color white and a level of 5,0

--I put a VrayLight plane in front of the window (VrayLight plane position file)with a white color and 30,0 as multiplier.

The rest of my settings are posted under.

I thought at the begining that my subdivs for QMC GI were to low(8) so I've set them to 20, picture was a little better but these grey areas were still there.

I've played also with the Current Preset's value and the HSph. Subdivs of the irradiance map, but nothing was good enough to give me a good result.

So if some of u, guys have some advices I'm all yours.

thanks again.

Estyl

:cool: Hi there,

i'm a new user of 3d max and still using scanline render the scene, when i read most of the articles mentioned about vray render, it seems pretty cool, wondering is there any trial version i can get before actually purchase the software.

also please comment the attached scene using scanline render.

Hi Estyl,

You will get better results using vray plane lights instead of vraylight mat. It will enable you to control the blotches more effectively. Any reason why you arent using lightcache for second bounce? It will give smoother and quicker lighting.

ciao estyl,

this kind of result with vray, usually means that there is not enough light in the scene, you sould try to put a vray light on the ceiling with low intensity (less then 1) and work with the color mapping value (start with exponential, bright=3, dark=1).

Hope this could be useful...

hi guys :p

thanks for the answers and sorry for the delay, I've effectively changed my secoundary bounces in Light cache set to 0,7.

-I've replaced my Vray light plane by a conventional Target Direct light with a rectangle as beam's shape (multiplier set to 2)

-I've increased HSph subdivs to 80 and the current preset to high

- my environment light is pushed to 30 with a light (very light) blue color

- and I use VrayLightMtl for the inside "globes"

- saturation is set to 0,7.

The result is quite ok I'm still working on the floor and some artefacts that I can not resolve (as this big rectangle under the table and this sparkling effect on chair's legs)

here is the result so far

Thanks

Estyl