Got 15 day demo and I'm stuck...

psyanide

I use AutoCAD at the moment to model and Accurender to render, but we want to use RTRE, so I have a trial of VIZ4 (9 days left). I've imported a DWG model and it's came in better than expected, but I can't find anything in the help about lights. I've put some in and calculated a radiosity solution, but it's not doing anything. The light is affecting the space just as if I'm not using radiosity. Any ideas what's going on?

TIA

OK, I modelled in mm, but VIZ's default is inches. I clicked the units tab to mm, but still nothing. Then I turned the lights up 25x what they were, but the radiosity render doesn't look like it has radiosity. Could the mm/inches thing be causing the problem?

Yep thats your problem! With photometric lights it is vital that your model is using correct units. Try seting up a new scene, change the system units and display units to millimeters and then import the file again... your lights should now be working with a model that is scaled correctly so they should now show up in the render.

Craig

Originally posted by psyanide:

OK, I modelled in mm, but VIZ's default is inches. I clicked the units tab to mm, but still nothing. Then I turned the lights up 25x what they were, but the radiosity render doesn't look like it has radiosity. Could the mm/inches thing be causing the problem?

Hi Sam,

If you leave the Scene Unit Scale at inches and have Display Unit Scale set to Metric and millimeters, you can check the size of an object to make sure the size of the model is physically correct. There is a Measure Distance command under the Tools menu. If the object measures as expected, I would leave Scene Units at inches.

Are you using Exposure Control? Make sure it is enabled, preferably Logarithmic.

Also, I don't think Standard lights work very well with radiosity. Try photometric if you aren't already. And make sure "Use Radiosity" is enabled in the render settings dialog.

Let us know what happens - we'll try to get you going. :)

Is it possible that faces could be pointing the wrong way for radiosity even with force 2 sided ticked?

Anyway, thanks a lot for the assistance Craig and Fran. I was about to go in a huff with my computer, and fling my teddy out the pram. ;)

Originally posted by Craig Ramsay:

I tested this the other day with an autocad drawing drawn in millimeters and it will not import to the correct scale unless the system units are in millimeters... trust me I know nothing ;)

Craig

Hi Craig,

Hmmm. I just imported a 400 mil. box into a scene with Scene Unit Scale set to Inches and Display Unit Scale set to mm. It measured 400 mil. Maybe Viz is different from Max? Curiouser and curioser. :???: Trust me, I know nothing too. :)

Originally posted by Craig Ramsay:

Fran are you using Viz and is your autocad was your autocad drawing drawn in millimeters?

Sorry Craig. I'm using VIZ. I model with Rhino, and am so used to using Power Translators that I didn't realize it auto-converts. When I tried every other file format, the same box measured 10160 mm. This is why I recommend to people to measure an object of known size to see if they have a units issue.