raytrace material render as black in scanline

blaz

Hi,

I have this problem recently after i upgrade one of my system to 64 bit version. when i render the scene file in 32 bit version the mirror (raytrace material) render as a black surface without any reflection on it. and when i use back the same file in the 64 bit system it renders fine (with proper reflections).

Is this a kind of a bug between 32 bit and 64 bit version. i tried to google this issue but not find any solution so far.

any help or comment appreciated.. thanks.

FYI, i have install the SP2 in the 32 bit and 64 bit and still doesnt fix the problem.

regards,

Hi,

I have not seen any differences between 32 and 64 bit renders, in any SP of max. I saw a comment recently where someone said that the number accuracy of 64-bit is higher, which makes sense if the software is using more bits to represent standard floating-point numbers. Still, somethng as simple as a mirror reflecting should work in each.

Have you tried mental ray?

BTW, a flat mirror surface (or any flat reflective surface) will render faster with a Standard Material using the Flat Mirror map in the Reflection channel. Raytrace is only necessary for curved objects, and will render much slower.

Hi jennifer,

Thank for your reply,i havent try with flat mirror yet. because of the deadline this afternoon. i got basin tap that using the same raytrace material. which still gave me the black surface.

I will try using the flat mirror tomorrow to see what will happen.

but i tried in 3 different workstation today three of them are 32 bit and gave me the same black result (like a switched off raytrace)...

regards,