Exporting model as linework

fernando-1

If you want to be able to edit the lines, like regular vectors (such as in Illustrator) you'll need a plugin. At least you do with Max.

I know you can do it with Final Toon, that comes with Final Render (as well as saving out swf files).

It should be part of the rendering options, but they still haven't added it.

Just had exactly the same problem. After a bit of Internet research, I found that later Viz 4 product packaging releases include a plug-in called Vecta3D on a separate CD. This will render out to line work and generate Flash and Illustrator files.

It should be in your Viz 4 product package, if not, talk to your dealer about getting a copy.

Kerry

Kerry is right. Vecta 3D is the quickest, least expensive way to go, although it is pretty flawed.

Do any of the add-on renderers have this ability? Brazil, mental ray, Vray, etc?

Just a quick note, Vecta3D is somewhat flawed, and has problems with mirrored objects, printing them inside out. The work around is to either flip the normals, or make your materials 2-sided.

• 2 weeks later...

Fernando-

I wasn't able to make the shadows with Vecta 3D, but I was able to mock the effect by making a copy of the model with everything colored white, then set one directional light. Finally, I blended the image with the Vecta line image in photoshop to get that effect.

A lot of extra steps, but sometimes you have to work with what you've got.

Actually, you can get an eval version from TurboSquid here:

Final Toon

Click on the eval button at the top right - I'm not sure of it's limits though. The full plug-in is $495 (finalRender stage1 - which comes with finalToon is like $800) - it might be worth it if you're doing a lot of this kind of work but probably not if it's a one or two-time thing... IMO