Boolean?

blowback

Hello,

I want to subtract some text from a poly to create a the look of a metal lazer-cut sign. (then backlight it)

When I convert my text to poly, clean up the poly and then try to use boolean....undesirable results or a crash. When I seperate the letters to individual polys I get poor results with pro boolean and crazy face count by boolean.

When I did an experiment and tryed to trace the letters by redraying the spline this seemed to work but I slaughter the font and it takes forever)

Am I doing something wrong, is there a better way, or is it slow and steady?:confused:

Hi

Pro Boolean is far better than Boolean but you need to check some things for a proper result. First of all try to optimize the text by lowering the interpolation steps, because the default setting (6) is in many cases too big - you should approximate how much detail is needed. Many times I`ve used 1-2 steps and even 0 for small text.

After this you need to optimize the original poly, it might be necessary to insert some new faces for a better result.

If this doesn`t work then you should split object into smaller pieces to simplify the procedure.

By the way…. post an image with your work, it will be much clear for us.

Best regards.

Mihai