Radiosity Problem

HeDaCoM

wow.. very nice. heh... I don't have these problems... maybe you have to refine more the radiosity solution or try the regather option... but the real problem is that this model is a model for Lightscape or something... when you model for VIZ you have to model with solids... and don't have many different coplanar faces. that's the problem with the triangles created for the holes. try to model it with autocad in one 3D SOLID. Then import it with the file link manager.

Hector,

The house was modeled in AutoCAD 2002. I used solids. I subtracted the doors and windows from the walls.

I was thinking.... maybe I should draw the face of the wall (with arcs and shapes) and then extrude the polyline, instead subtracting the shapes (solids) from the wall (solid). You know what I mean? I don't know. I'm using the 3DSOUT option to export the model and then I import it in VIZ. (I get better results that way). This is really frustrating. How do you model in CAD? How do you bring the model into VIZ?

[ May 16, 2002, 08:40 AM: Message edited by: CHE ]

Che, did u subtract the door and windows together or individually? Subtract individually also gives better layer management.

Save as dwg. and import as dwg in Viz.

Hope that helps.

Hector

I have imported that house as a DWG in VIZ and I have encountered problems with the smoothness along the edges of my arcs and circular shapes. They look polygonal. I have been playing with the importing options that VIZ has but I still ended up with polygonal shapes. That's why I used 3DSOUT. Could you share your settings with me? I'll give it a try again tonight. Thanks for the help.

Try and subdivide the mesh, select the object(s)and apply the subdivision modifier. Make sure "show in viewport" option is on so you see what happens. Make the division quite small. Assuming you do radiosity, this will help anyway.

Thanks Cyclops.

I think I figured it out. I played around with the radiosity settings and this is what I got:

http://communities.msn.com/VisualRevolutions/test.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=15

Make sure you check out my post under WIP ("Michoacan Project")as well. I have posted new renderings. Please leave some comments there. Thank y'all for the help. biggrin2.gif

[ May 17, 2002, 07:52 AM: Message edited by: CHE ]

Hi che,

A bit late, but if you import from autocad, i hav e to tips for you:

- add an edit mesh modifier and go to sub-object/edges. select all edges, set edge treshold on 1 and click autoedge.

- go to sub-obj/polygons, select all polygons, set autosmooth treshold to 30 and click autosmooth

rgds

nisus

• 2 months later...

you could try altering the normals to unitfy in he mesh select. i cn't see the images but i think i'm geting the same problems using vectorworks. It does vary depending on how you fiddle with the radiosity buttons. but its really pissing me off. autodesk reseler if absolutley useless aswell, doesn't want to know!. Anyone don't buy from cadline in staines ever

• 3 weeks later...

I've found that using the File Linking Manager to be more successful handling the normals of AutoCad models brought into Viz than inserting them. Somehow, Viz understands the geometry better than if you use one of the options on the Insert pulldown menu. Those who think it's a drag on performance (although I've never had a problem with it) can always "bind" the drawing. Also in the FLM, look for the ACIS Surface Deviation and set it to .25 or .3 - that'll help smooth those curved surfaces. Sorry if I drifted...