Rigging a crane winch

daniohayon

Hello everyone ;),

I'm working on an animation that require some crane operation. I've rigged the whole thing and it is working great and the key framing is very easy...but(!) I can't seem to figure out a constraint combination for the winch at the far end of the crane.

The winch should move/rotate with the arm that its attached to and at the same time be constrained by gravity(hang down).

Can someone help?

Thanks,

Dani

If I understood you right, here is quick file...

If you want to be more realistic try to simulate it with Reactor rope.

Thanks Ameo,

...but I think I wasn't clear about the combination I need. The problem I found is that the winch is rotating with the arm it is attached too in ALL directions. I would like to constrain it's movement in the Z axis, so it will always hang down and not be 'frozen'.

I've marked it with the arrow in the image.

D

I can't explain you well, because my English is not good enough..., thats why I make the file.It's mutch quicker this way :)

Dummy is the "anchor" for the winch. It can be everything , box , mesh, spline but you must have some object that guides the "winch", and in this case it takes angle from the arm to be with vertical Z axis in every one moment , it can be done with wiring x and y position, using constraints, but this was the first that come to my mind.