Objects specific viewport "Show" "Hide" settings

Nils Norgren

OK i'll start, This is a suggestion that I have discussed idily with folks within and outside autodesk, It may be unfeasible based on underlying code in the way viewports are drawn, but here goes anyway.

----------------------------------------------------------------

SHORT TITLE FOR SUGGESTION/BUG/ENHANCEMENT REQUEST

----------------------------------------------------------------

Objects specific viewport "Show" "Hide" settings

---------------------------------------------------------------

DETAILED DESCRIPTION OF YOUR REQUEST

This feature is (And has been) in maya. Currently in Max within the Display panel there are check boxes for "Hide by category" to hide things in the view based on type, IE. quickly turn everything off except lights, splines, geometry, etc. I use this feature all the time, the basic ideas is to attach this "Hide by" feature to each viewport.

WHY THIS REQUEST IS IMPORTANT TO YOU

This feature would be useful in that you could have a viewport with everything shown, in another view only helpers, or lights, etc. This would allow for easier manipulation of many things. I often build complicated rigs with hierarchies of dummies, I use the selection filters to only select them or a combination, but If i could set a view to only show helpers it would allow for much quicker manipulation.

Hope this brings a flood of more (better) ideas!

-Nils

OK i'll start, This is a suggestion that I have discussed idily with folks within and outside autodesk, It may be unfeasible based on underlying code in the way viewports are drawn, but here goes anyway.

Short Description: Objects specific viewport "Show" "Hide" settings

Long Description: This feature is (And has been) in maya. Currently in Max within the Display panel there are check boxes for "Hide by category" to hide things in the view based on type, IE. quickly turn everything off except lights, splines, geometry, etc. I use this feature all the time, the basic ideas is to attach this "Hide by" feature to each viewport.

Importance: This feature would be useful in that you could have a viewport with everything shown, in another view only helpers, or lights, etc. This would allow for easier manipulation of many things. I often build complicated rigs with hierarchies of dummies, I use the selection filters to only select them or a combination, but If i could set a view to only show helpers it would allow for much quicker manipulation.

Hope this brings a flood of more (better) ideas!

-Nils

Mmmm! I like that one. I find myself constantly hiding and unhiding different elements but If I could set that by viewport it would reduce much of that.