Crash after cleanup!?

WAcky

Well just days after my singing praises about max 2008 64 i've hit a rather major problem.

Ive rendered out a scene with 16million triangles after retessellation as its telling me in the mental ray message window. I am aware that this is a ridiculous amount of polys but the thing that gets me is that max doesnt crash before or during rendering but after cleanup?!

95% of this is because of foliage and of course there are ways I will have to work around this by using render passes and so forth, but if my computer has the power to render these things out, then why the hell is it crashing after its done all the hard work...how confusing...

I have tried adjusting pretty much everything in the render settings to no avail. Tried saving smaller FG maps and reading from them. Tried the memory saving options on and off etc.

The error is the basic blah blah max will try and save a backup file Ok or Cancel.

So yeah, if anyone else finds a solution let me know!

My memory problems (in the form of black buckets when rendering with mental ray) was remedied by using Backburner and turning off the "rendered frame window"... don't know if this is relevant for your problem, but I have made it a habit to use Backburner for complex scenes

Good luck,

Robert

• 2 months later...

A colleague of mine at the moment has this problem with mental ray

It renders totally and then when it goes to storing frame it crashes

Someone must have a fix for this or is it a bug. Like Wacky we have tried literally everything we can think off. I had the same problem a while ago myself and I fixed it by merging into a new scene but this time its not working at all.

Ive been having a wonderful time with max over the last few days with persistent crashing. Im about to go f'ing postal.

I had some RPC's in my scene which turned out to be the problem. They were working fine until this problem popped up again so i took out the RPC's. didnt fix the problem. I then reverted back to a previous file and max crashed. Turns out every file with this one RPC is for some reason now corrupted. About 20 hours of work gone because these files cant be opened. I didnt try a merge. Didnt think of that...

Either way i still dont know why this happens. Something really needs to be fixed with this program. I've not yet dealt with a scene that doesnt have a crash tantrum in one scene or another. I'm trying to start a business and I'm using this product that is totally unreliable.

Have you tried doing the rendering via Backburner without the framebuffer? It is a longshot, but it solved my issues with mental ray. You said you haven't used it, but it's really quite simple.

Just start all three programs in the Backburner folder (same as 3ds max from the start menu) then check [x] Net render, connect to the manager and submit the job.

Robert

• 1 year later...