VRay Crash --- memory issue

louis.cho

My cpu:

P4 2,8 HT

1Gb Ram

Max 9

Vray 1.5

I want to make a big render, like 2500x1250. It's work well with 900x1800 but not bigger. It's pass trough the LightCache and the Irradiance map but after 20 min of render, It's crash and max close. my textures are not bigger than 1024x1024 (many are lower tahn that). I tred lower settings of IR pass like -4/-3 but since the render chrash after that pass I d'ont think it's due to Ir pass or Light cache.

My scene have 150 000 poly BUT, when I add my trees and vegetation, it's goes to 600 000! Can I render all my scene without trees and make a trees only render?

I use the Vray FrameBuffer with memory FB diseable. I render to raw image and diseable renderer frame window.

Any tips?

thanks for help :)

do you set max buffer in small size?

when you use VFB you need uncheck render to memory and set max rendersize to very small like 100x100

use vrayproxy for trees and vegitations and instance it.

set default geometry to Dynamic and set dynamic limit to 600 or so. close all other programm. try to render it from without max GUI, or render it in backburner.

thanks, you helped me so much. I didn't know about dynamics geometry, very interresting. I also made proxys and instance it, I didn't pay a lot of attention of it before but instance are very less memory eater.

Why i must put the max FB to small size? in wich way this is related if I override it with vray FB?

I never use BackBurner, I always thought it was for render farms? I will take a look.

Again thanks, I will try it tonight and give you news tomorrow morning.

dynamic memory sets in Vray: System rollout in render settings.

it slow down render alot but allow render have scene with small memory.

it load and unload some part of scene from memory to hdd while render and it works well with proxy.

using backburner you can not load 3dsmax GUI and save some memory :)

you must set up max FB small because it use memory anyway.

nope, it didn't make it. I will try in backburner later today. What do you think of render the scne without trees and shadows after render just trees and after just shadow? will it take less memory?

Since it's crash in the render pass, can I use my saved IR map and LC map?

I think I should invest in some ram. I think 3Gb is the lmit in XP no?

you should use vray proxy for the trees and for your max/vray settings you should do this:

http://evermotion.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58005&highlight=vrimg

http://evermotion.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62333&highlight=vrimg

it really works, now I can render upto 4000*3000 and more ;)

never crossing your fingers again when you see the ram usage going up on the task manager, I know all about it :D

regards Pieter