project development animation

This was a project I was working on about a year and a half ago. It still had a long way to go, but things were starting to come together on it, when the plug was pulled.

This project was considered a study, and was assumed that it would need lots of tweaking before it was successful. The basic goal was to communicate the process of building a hospital from planning to final DD set. Even though things are composed in a certain order, we were pulling pieces out, and adding pieces in at different points.

A few of the scenes have a different feel than the rest. These were scenes that were composed early, and had not matured to the level of the rest. Although, all of the scenes would have went through another level of refinement given the time.

The next steps to be inserted along the way would have been different massing concepts for the front piece. The folded front piece would have pulled off, refolded, and reformed about 4 times to represent the series of design changes that took place. Then the animation would have started rebuilding the model in more detail on both the interior and exterior.

Also, I think it would have been necessary to add more information at the front to better inform the process of design. But like I said, it was a work in progress that unfortunately will never be completed.

However, given the possibilities, there will be project(s) in the future that pull form this project. So opinions and feedback are appreciated.

Member ‘demo38’ composed the music.

http://www.phase22.com/misc/cgarchitect/posted_work/JC_study.mov

Regards, ts.

This may be picky, but it involves the overall feel of the video

Try to find a better font. It bothered me throughout the movie. Not bold or eye catching. Kinda...bland.

Otherwise, I liked it. I think the music wasn't bad. It just needed less changing of the beat...a little more repetition in the beats...It switched sounds more than a DJ Irene mix cd (reference I doubt anyone here may get)...and I love some good electronic...

Try to find a better font. It bothered me throughout the movie. Not bold or eye catching. Kinda...bland.

that would be helvetica. it was the corporate font at the time, though Karlberger changed their corporate font a couple of months ago.

i do happreciate heletica's non-descript simplicity. it is functional, and does its job. ....an elegant utilitarian. it describes a lot of the aesthetic i enjoy in life. however, there are other varieties of helvetica that might have added some spice.

Yeah, have to agree, the music really sucks...

I can be harsh, I worked on the audio for this. The beats are off, was trying to stick to the mood without using anything but free loops and without spending a lot of time on it, unfortunately it showed...

The animation though has a great style to it that I like a lot.

• 2 years later...

Travis, I just saw your hospital design process video. I really enjoyed it. It was ambitious but just the kind of project that I think raises the bar on what one can achieve if one thinks about the design and visualization processes as very integrated practices. Really nice.

I found it looking for info on whether anyone else had trouble animating vertices. I couldn't get vertices to animate using set key for some reason but when I was able to grab the key using auto key.

Thanks for sharing the video, very inspiring.

b

Edited by wrt