8GB Ram benefit

ya i did a scene with 41 million polys. no joke. 2,684 cars in the parking lot, 14 buildings, a power station, 3 sets of power lines and 580 3d trees.

on a more reasonable level, with the more memory you can get faster renders because max wont have to cache out to the hardrives which really slows things down. a pair of 10,000 rpm drives raid 0 and things will go even faster.

I'm running 8 gigs and I can really see a difference, I have a scene with 6 million polys(no where near freaker's) but still ran it pretty well, I still get lagging when trying to navigate,and thats running Nvida 88000gtx, but it renders out this animation without any hitches

• 3 months later...

I too thought 8gb would be a good idea. Alas!

Vista has a problem with 8gb of ram. I installed 8 gb of ram without too much of a problem, or at least i didnt realise it was going bad. Startup times went from 15 seconds to 10 minutes and after I installed SP1 the computer became unuseable. The processor was runnin 100% full time. I couldnt even open up internet explorer with two or more tabs open.

A mate of mine did some reading and let me know that vista has a big problem with 8gb of ram. I took out 4gb and now its running like lightning. Over clocked my 6600 to 3ghz and im loving it all over again. With this overclocking im gaining about 10 minutes per hour. When i buy a nice big heatsink and fan and we hit winter here down under im going to try for 3.5ghz +

Im yet to try a 6gb config but i have a feeling the performance will decrease again.

If you're using Vista (im using ultimate 64) then wait for a patch to fix this problem before thinking about 8gb of ram.

When i say it was unuseable, i mean slower than the computer you had 5 years ago when it was full of junk and took ages to open anything...

Hey WAcky, Do you happen to have a link to the article your mate was reading regarding this issue vista 64 has with 8 gigs or RAM?

I would be intrested in having a read of that myself because this is the first I've heard of it and it's the setup I was aiming for when I buy my new PC.

There's no way your problems are down to you specifically? like maybe faulty RAM slots on your mobo or something? I've been there myself..

cheers

Mark

He just did a search on google i think. It seems like there are some ppl that its not affecting. It may be that im on vista ultimate 64. Maybe other versions of vista dont suffer this. Maybe its only an sp1 thing. Sorry i cant help any further.

Depending on your situation it might be a better idea to go with XP 64 or be prepared to work with 4gb RAM in the meantime until the issue is rectified.

Sorry i can't help any more.

Hey WAcky, Do you happen to have a link to the article your mate was reading regarding this issue vista 64 has with 8 gigs or RAM?

I would be intrested in having a read of that myself because this is the first I've heard of it and it's the setup I was aiming for when I buy my new PC.

There's no way your problems are down to you specifically? like maybe faulty RAM slots on your mobo or something? I've been there myself..

cheers

Mark