working on the same max files from home and office

Bugga_Guy

I have a question about working with max files on different computers (ie home and office). At times I often bring work home from the office but the problem is that my texture library is linked to a different drive (ie n:) and at home (ie c:) so all the texture maps are always missing and its useless to re-link manually because it takes forever.

Is there a proper way to "trick" max in thinking that I am working on a n: - or is there a easy way to do to take 3d files with texture maps work on it at one location and then move it to another location and have everything work fine on the renderfarm?

I often wonder how remote renderframs work (like rendercore.com)? Working on a computer then sending the file with texture maps to a rendering company and have everything work fine even if the paths are different.

Good question. I usually have to copy and paste all of my materials/jpegs into the "take home" folder and then re-apply those materials from the "take home" folder to the max file which is a huge pain. An easier way to accomplish this would be great.

3dsmaxed: If you Archive and bundle the file with the materials will it read from the same drive that the original materials where taken from even if the drive isn't accessible? It wouldn't seem possible.

Jophus-

If you place all the maps in the same directory as the Max file, Max will figure out where the maps are placed, regardless of where they once were. And from just playing with it, it looks like it actually keeps the original directory location, so when you move it back, you don't have to relink all of the original maps.

Simple way of mapping to different drives is asset tracking, if you take a copy of your textures home with you and stick them in a folder then hit Shift+T to open the asset tracker then if you select all the textures and right click on them and select Set Path.

• 1 month later...

Im using Viz 2008 and this feature seems like exactly what i need, but......

It wont work!

Ive looked in the help file and you have to tell Viz what archive software you want to use. (Customize > Preferences > Files Tab) As it wasnt working with 'maxzip' i have changed it to my Winzip install. It opens the Winzip software but does not add any files.

Has anyone had this problem?