3DMax Vray Rendering issue

Mogo

Hi Guy’s

I am only new to 3DMax so take it easy on me!!

Question one

Vray 1.5 Rendering

I notice when I render an image in Vray the pause button is grayed out so I cannot pause my render...

If I use the default scanline render the pause button is enabled.

I have looked around in my Vray settings, is there something I am missing!!!

"Question two"

Also a Vray problem.

One of my renders was going to take 14 hours to complete so I thought there may be away to render an Image pause it close max and come back to it at later date is this possible...

I have search the net but there was nothing I could see.

Thanks Guys

Mogo!!!

1)As for the pause, in my computer I press Esc and it stops.

2)For the 14hrs settings: try getting an irradiance map with any setting that would do for your needs, when happy with your tests, you save that irradiance and use it for final production. it should cut down your timing. If you have already done this... sorry. if not, it could cut your rendering times. You could also consider texture baking and uvwunrap , layered rendering, proper light rig, get rid of whatever you dont need if you went into heavy modeling, for speed results. dont know how complex your scene is.

good luck

And yes, there is a way to do so (stoping and resuming render) you render regions and save them, you then compose in photoshop.

Lets say you put a scene to render during the night, in the morning is 1/2 done, you stop, save image, and next night you render region the remaining piece. hope it helps

Hi Guy's

Neal,Dean and Martin

Thanks Guys but I am Pissed............................

Hi Neal

Thanks Neal

"image is taking 14 hours to render then there is something wrong with your settings"

"Not my settings" "Neal"

These are the defualt setting for rendering this scean from "Evermotion - 3D model"

www.archexteriors Vol 4

If you are telling me these guy are using a render farm with 24 server with Dual Xennons with 64 bit shit..

I would not have purchased this DVD.

If you are saying these guys are bad programers.

You may be right.

Thanks Neal

And also for asking me to post my setting Neal

Thanks for your repley Neal......

Mogo!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Dean

"you could render regions and stitch them back together in something like photoshop.

also doesnt backburner allow you to render in strips, so i guess you could pause between each strip

using the monitor"

Yes I know were you are coming from Dean but I would have to re render again!!!

Please tell me if I am wrong.

If I shut down Max..............

Thanks Dean!!!

Robert...................................

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Martin

Thanks'''

"As for the pause, in my computer I press Esc and it stops"

Thanks Martin I will try this now.

"For the 14hrs settings: try getting an irradiance map with any setting that would do for your needs,

when happy with your tests, you save that irradiance and use it for final production. it should cut down your timing.

If you have already done this... sorry.

if not, it could cut your rendering times. You could also consider texture baking and uvwunrap ,

layered rendering, proper light rig, get rid of whatever you dont need if you went into heavy modeling

for speed results. dont know how complex your scene is.

good luck.

Thanks Martin

Hi Neal

"multiple machines"

No multiple machines "Neal"

I have been deleting shit from this scene!! lighting, models and am slowly dissecting this scene.

Thanks you all for replying to my post.....

My website is

http://WWW.flashthat.com

1024X768

Thanks

Mogo!!!!!............................................................

The settings on the Evermotion scenes are rendered using settings that produce crisp, clean images. These settings probably aren't meant for the average joes computer setup, but I'm not sure what you are working with.

As far as 14 hours for a render to finish doesn't mean that the settings are wrong. I have had renders take double that amount of time to finish. It all depends on what is in the scene. Things such as VrayDisplacement modifiers, opacity maps and lots of reflective materials will take a lot of time to produce an image.

The Evermotion scenes might be good to learn from, but you may want to tweak the settings a bit when it comes to your own scene since every model is different and those particular settings might just be overkill.

These are the defualt setting for rendering this scean from "Evermotion - 3D model" http://www.archexteriors Vol 4

The settings on the Evermotion scenes are rendered using settings that produce crisp, clean images. These settings probably aren't meant for the average joes computer setup, but I'm not sure what you are working with...

...The Evermotion scenes might be good to learn from, but you may want to tweak the settings a bit when it comes to your own scene since every model is different and those particular settings might just be overkill.

have to say that generally i have always found evermotion settings to be way too high... it would be nice to be able to work with such settings but from a production timescale it just isn't possible

I think we could probably post forever on why evermotion's settings are too high..... my biggest fix would be to not brute force all your renders.... but as said it does create a nice clean result.

But for my time an money lightcache with the right settings can always do a great job in under two hours, as opposed to 14

As for the whole start/stop your rendering, it would be nice if vray could pick up and continue a render (dare I say like maxwell.....) but it can't to the extent that we would like it to.

Another method in addition to those that have been mentioned would be to render to a .vrimg file. You could kill your render and then restart it later after going into your settings dropdown and reversing the sequence of the render. You'd of course save the new render to a new .vrimg and stitch the two when completed.... the nice thing about rendering to file this way is that you don't lose what's been completed so far when you cancel a render.

Thank's

Thanks Guy's

Neal,Dean,Martin,Joseph,James,william and Brian!!!

You Guy's have answered all my Questions/Issues on my first post on this forum, in regards to Vray..

Which I was not to happy in hearing but its something Vray will have to work on!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for my PC

"Chip"

Intel Core2 E6850 3.0GHz 1333FSB processor with 4MB L2 cache

"Ram"

4GB DDR2 800

"Graphics"

NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTX 768MB DDR3

-----------------------------------------------------------

And with all this!! it can still take 14 hours to render a scean in Max amazing

But with your help I could reduce this on avg to 1.2 hours............................

------------------------------------------

The main culprit.

Vray Global Switches

Turn off Geometry Displacement

This was the big one!!!

I searched the net and am not to sure exactly what this does.

All materials are still there.

And with the human eye I cannot tell the difference.

V-Ray Indirect illumination Tab

Turned off

Again with the human eye and cannot tell the difference

Thanks Guys I am back on track!

Mogo!!!

Have you tried posting in the Chaosgroup forum? Vlado would help you if you had any real problems. Right now, your only problem is not knowing the software. Imo, an evermotion scene is not the best way to familiarize yourself with vray. It may cause more confusion and frustration than good.

one thing that i've found to be a problem, as mentioned before, is displacement. Occasionally I've noticed objects being to close together so that the displacement intersects another object. ie brick texture passing into a picture's 3d space. It really kicks up the time. Can't say that I have that particular volume so can't say if this is true in this case...........

Thanks Guy's

Thank's Aaron, James and to you Roderick...

I have been studying these scenes and must admit, I am a little confused in what the hell is going on here…

When I press M for materials nothing comes up. "Blank Textures"

There using something "vrmesh" so it is hard for me even to see how there mapping materials to objects.

I am only new to Max!

Thanks Guy's for trying to help me out.....................................

Robert!!!

There using something "vrmesh" so it is hard for me even to see how there mapping materials to objects.

.vrmesh is the file created when an object is "proxied" and then it is referenced back into the at render time. It is a very powerful tool in vray that allows the possibility to render many millions of poly's without crashes.

do some research into vray proxy to find out more

also http://www.spot3d.com is a very good resource - the offical vray help files