Game Engine/Walk through

robert_mcg

Hello,

Is there a relatively cheap or even free game engine that will import Lightwave objects (or better yet scene files) for real time interactivity ?

I've had for several years a ps2 on which I have Grand Theft Auto/Vice City. I've never really played the game, because I suck at video games, I only go around the cities just looking and interacting with the objects.

Besides bringing out my inner thug, this thing makes me wonder if there could be a market for a game engine that regular 3d people could use?

What do Archviz pros use ? I imagine they have real programmers rolling custom apps that are not available at any price.

Sorry for the incoherence of this post, doing 4 things at once.

r.

Most fps games come with a free editor which allows you to create maps for the games. You can get lwo files into them but usually by exporting them to obj or 3ds. I think that's because LW works in quads and most engines work in tris.

Using the engines for commercial walkthroughs is something else as the licences for the engines are big-corporation-level expensive.

There are free independant ones available but I don't know how they work license-wise.

They also come with serious limitations of course as you can't throw arch viz style models and textures around in realtime although the Crytek engine is unbelievable.