Dell Xps 720

hi everybody,

i use max+vray and need a new workstation.

my last 2 computers i configured at a local shop, by using benchmark lists, to get the best parts for the money....but was always unlucky by getting problems all along the way(shutdowns, not starting graficcards, not staring computers, bluesreens,...)

anyway, now i want to buy a prefabricated system, think about dell xps 720:

Intel® Core™ 2 Quad-Core Q6600 Prozessor (2,40 GHz, 1066 MHz, 8 MB Cache)

4096 MB 667 MHz Dual-Channel DDR2 SDRAM [4 x 1024]

nVidia® GeForce® 8800 GTX

1 TB Serial ATA RAID 0 (Striping) (2 x 500 GB, 7.200 U/Min. mit DataBurst™-Cache)

xp 64 bit

my questions:

has anyone experiences with this or similar pc-konfiguarion?

any known issues with max 9+vray?

is it possible to use this system with a second graficcard, intel doesn`t offer it, only for the much more expensive 720H2C.

how works the dell support?

thankfull for suggestions

I found you could actually get the 720 in xp32 for 1999 avg now.

Hi, I probably won't be able to answer your questions, but I was looking at the same dell computer, but I chose to consider the xps 420 instead. It seemed you could get about the same system for a lot less except for the hard drive storage.

I went with

q6600

4 gb 800 Mhz DDR2

geforce 8800 GT

320 GB 7200 harddrive

16x dvd burner

on board internet + wireless

22" flat screen monitor + keyboard mouse

420 Watt

only thing is I went with window vista, because they didn't want to configure for XP 32.

all for under about 1900

cut the 22" and it's 1699

but I am sure you have your reason.

hi everybody,

i use max+vray and need a new workstation.

my last 2 computers i configured at a local shop, by using benchmark lists, to get the best parts for the money....but was always unlucky by getting problems all along the way(shutdowns, not starting graficcards, not staring computers, bluesreens,...)

anyway, now i want to buy a prefabricated system, think about dell xps 720:

nVidia® GeForce® 8800 GTX

1 TB Serial ATA RAID 0 (Striping) (2 x 500 GB, 7.200 U/Min. mit DataBurst™-Cache)

xp 64 bit

my questions:

has anyone experiences with this or similar pc-konfiguarion?

any known issues with max 9+vray?

is it possible to use this system with a second graficcard, intel doesn`t offer it, only for the much more expensive 720H2C.

how works the dell support?

thankfull for suggestions

thanks for your reply,

called dell to find out whats the difference btw. xps 720 and 420.

mainly its about the mainboards, nvidia nforce 680 in 720, and intel rx 38 in the 420.

the advantage of the nvidia mainboard is, that it supports a second graficcard and is upgradeable up to 8 gb ram, both the 420 board can`t.

the problem with the 720 is, that it is shipped only with vista 32 bit.

i need a 64 bit os, and prefer xp.

this you get with the dell precision`s, for example T7400.

it offers a good configuration for the price.

my question: which grafic card is better for good workflow in max?

nvidia 8800 gtx 768mb in the dell xps 720, or the 512MB PCIe x16 nVidia Quadro FX 1700 Dual Monitor DVI or VGA in the dell precision t7400?

thx

I heard a lot of good things about the 8800gt(good price at 284-300 for 512MB even lower if you do more research) so I got one to use with max and vray. Since I had a really slow card before, the 8800 GT is lighting fast. 90 MB max file with trees and rpcs, I can move around no problem no compromise at full textured previews.

thanks for your reply,

called dell to find out whats the difference btw. xps 720 and 420.

mainly its about the mainboards, nvidia nforce 680 in 720, and intel rx 38 in the 420.

the advantage of the nvidia mainboard is, that it supports a second graficcard and is upgradeable up to 8 gb ram, both the 420 board can`t.

the problem with the 720 is, that it is shipped only with vista 32 bit.

i need a 64 bit os, and prefer xp.

this you get with the dell precision`s, for example T7400.

it offers a good configuration for the price.

my question: which grafic card is better for good workflow in max?

nvidia 8800 gtx 768mb in the dell xps 720, or the 512MB PCIe x16 nVidia Quadro FX 1700 Dual Monitor DVI or VGA in the dell precision t7400?

thx

thanks ajlynn+pyang

i am a little confused because of this thread about display problems in wireframe mode with the 8800 gtx.

http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40085&highlight=8800+gtx

spent the whole day configuring dell`s xps and precision lines.

really don`t know where to go. one thing that i am sure about is, that i want to spend my money mainly in grafic card and ram, not so much in cpu, as i use dr.

would be nice if someone gives me some advice.

1. configuration:

dell precision t7400

Intel Xeon E5410 (2.33GHz,1333FSB,2x6MB,Quad Core)

8GB, 667MHz, ECC Memory (8x1GB)

512MB PCIe x16 nVidia Quadro FX 1700, optionally with a second one(has someone tried 2 fx1700 yet?)

price: 2100 euro, or 2500 euro for 2 x fx1700

2. configuration:

dell precision 690

two Quad Core Intel® Xeon® E5320 (1,86 GHz, 1.066 MHz, 2 x 4 MB Cache), 750 W

8GB, 667MHz, ECC Memory (8x1GB)

1GB ATI FireGL V7350 Dual Monitor DVI or VGA

price: 3350 euro (too expensive for me)

cheap alternative

3. configuration:

dell xps 420

EINE 768 MB nVidia® GeForce® 8800 GTX

price: 1200 euro

• 5 weeks later...

AJLynn: You know quite about about computer so I hope you wouldn't mind answering some questions for me. I am looking to get a new workstation for work and our IT guy told me to configure a computer and give him a price. In your last post you said that people are spending too much money on their computers. I would like a Quad-Core processor, enough RAM for Max9 Design with Vray and a decent videocard. I have to get my workstation through Dell since it's for my office. Anything particular that you would suggest. Since I'm not to good with computers I hope you don't mind helping me out. Thanks.

The reason why I was asking you is because yesterday our IT guy told the accountant that it'll cost rough 5K for a new computer for me. After reading your post regarding spending too much money I was curious as to your input. I guess they want something that'll last for a few year and be able to handle all of the software that I use. At 5K I can purchase a BOXX workstation and be set, but it has to be a Dell set up and by looking at their site, 5K is overboard for a desktop. Plus, I don't need a monitor to go with it. I'm not sure where he got that number from anyway. So I guess what I'm saying is that they have some money to spare, but they want something that will be good for years down the line. Thanks again for your help.

• 1 month later...
Well, if they budget you the 5k you maight decide you want to spend it :) For that kind of money you can get dual quad-core Xeons. But most of the time you're going to be fine with a quad-core.

Speaking of quad core xeons. Are those machines really worth that kind of money? I am debating whether getting one or not... over the xps systems. A good friend of mine thats works extrensivelly setting up networks and other It related computer issues mentioned that the precision series is what i should shoot for not the xps. Another thing Dual xeon quad cores 3.0 ghz run up the price quite a bit, is it worth getting a dual setup with slightly slower processors like 2.4 ghz?