'hidden potential' on HGTV

neko

has anyone else been watching this show ?

the basic concept is like many home buying shows, but they include architects / designers to show the 'hidden potential' of less desirable properties with nice 3D renderings (only still images as i recall - no animations).

the quality of the rendering is very good - nice detail and good lighting and the architecture is usually well designed.

i just think it's a great show for exposing the masses to the potential of architectural visualization and 3D technology.

There was a discussion about this show on these forums awhile back. As I remember the premise of the thread was that the renderings looked so good and were done so fast to keep up with the fast production of the show that all of us in the Arch/Vis rendering field were doomed.

My wife watches thier shows all the time and everytime she's see something 3D she'll telll me to come and look. Some of thier stuff looks really great and other stuff, not so great, but hey, they don't have very long to do thos ein and I would like to know what software they use

There was a discussion about this show on these forums awhile back. As I remember the premise of the thread was that the renderings looked so good and were done so fast to keep up with the fast production of the show that all of us in the Arch/Vis rendering field were doomed.

i just went back and read that thead, thanks.

i didn't realize the show had been around over a year now.....i don't get as many channels in my igloo at the moment.

i certainly don't think it's anything to be concerned about. it should be looked at positively, and artistic / creative people will always be able to compete with technology.

I have seen the show from when it first started and the rendering quality has gone down. The images from the earlier shows look better, but it may have been that they found a company to do the images for less money and switched companies or I could be completely wrong. I was looking on the HGTV website a while back and found a forum talking about the rendering on that show and people on the forum were coming up with all types of software that they used to do the images. Some of them listed software that you could find at BestBuy, while others were saying that it was Maya. Some even talked about Vray as the rendering engine. I'm not sure, but I really do believe that they switched companies from the older shows til now. The images always seem too saturated and there never seems to be correct shadows on their objects. Just my opinion.

and I doubt it took 25 days to render the animations for each episode. :)

yeah, that poster didn't mention anything about renderfarms. Assuming those frame times are correct, you could render that out in half a day with a decent renderfarm.

Not even counting the 3D aspect, I think it is a very entertaining show. I don't get HGTV, but when over the GF's house, it seems that that is the only channel we put on. I think the renderings look very good and figured it was MAX or Strata 3D (just something about the renderings that remind me of that program).

BTW - this is completely unrelated, but when that show first started they had a (slightly feminine-looking) male designer that showed off all the renderings on his laptop... but on the newer shows they have a (slightly manly-looking) female designer doing the same job. The GF and I have this running joke that we think it is the same designer - just pre- and post- op. They both seem to have the same mannerisms and about the same height/build.

OK, sorry for that last part, but we have been talking about that for quite some time now.