It's VERY cold here in Calgary

Jeff Mottle

• Administrators

We don't often see windchills this cold in Calgary, in fact I don't recall in recent history it being this cold with the windchill. Thought everyone would get a kick out of this though. See the attachment. Just for reference, exposed skin freezes in less than 5 min when it's this cold.

For you non-metric people, -46C is -50.8 F

We don't often see windchills this cold in Calgary, in fact I don't recall in recent history it being this cold with the windchill. Thought everyone would get a kick out of this though. See the attachment. Just for reference, exposed skin freezes in less than 5 min when it's this cold.

For you non-metric people, -46C is -50.8 F

and you live there why?

• Administrators

Did you put fish in that little pond you built in your backyard? How do they survive?

I have in indoor pond I have in the basement. I bring them all in for the winter. If the pond were deeper 6-8' deep, I could have left them outside as they do hibernate, but I'd probably worry about them all winter anyway.

• Administrators
and you live there why?

Because it's only ever like this a few days a year. After that, it's one of the most beautiful places to live in the world. The summer last year was high 80's (30-35C), most of the time. I'm only 40-60 min from the mountains, the air is clean and fresh, the list goes on.... :)

I will never forget the first time I went skiing at Lake Louise. I was used to skiing in the Sierra's, and while I had some warm clothes, they couldn't begin to keep me warm enough, with the blowing wind and cold.

I should have gotten a clue when I saw the snow patrol with those things that went over their boot buckles.

Needless to say, I didn't last much longer than an hour!

On the way back to Calgary, we had to stop and put a piece of cardboard over the radiator! That year it had started snowing in September!

It was definitely beautiful, and the powder, while a bit heavy, was deep.

Now about that fish pond in Jeff's basement, wow, that is one dedicated Koi lover!!

And....it is a long way to the average warm temps of San Diego from Calgary!