max crashing with Bitmap loading error

pradipta

currently i am working on a pretty large scene with couple hundereds of proxy trees and few cars and other objects. my max was crashing repeatly while trying to load bitmaps for pre calculation process after light map calculation. i was rendering stills only at high res. even for some pov it crashed during LC stage. even increasing the DM to 1024 solved the problem in 70 percent of the cases and not for all. then i reduced the bucket size and it finally worked.

why does vray crash giving Bitmap loading error, saying an 'memory heap error' when i can clearly see max is not using much of the avliavle Ram and virtual memory allocated. i have 2 gb ram on a amd 64 bit system, running 32 bit windows.

Also another quite strange situation, when i am using a 1 gb system its taking around 500 mb phy memory and 1100 mb while rendering, when, i am taking the same scene on a 2gb system with her configuration same, its taking 1.3 gb phy memory an 1.7 gb virtual memory, why is it doing so? and its crashing more often in the 2gb system rather than 1 gb system.

can anyone help me to understand whats going on?

Eirc, my problem is much different than yours.

My system is giving bitmap loading error only at the time of rendering or calculation LC. Its not that max is runing out of memory since i cehcked it can use some more of the phy memory and virtual memory. i cannt understand the method how 3dsmax swaps page memory. I have at least 8gb of virtual memory allocated to it.

You should try, at least. ;)

BTW, no need to start a new thread about the memory usage, mate. As Fran stated in your other thread, memory issues can be avoided by turning off the regular frame buffer, using a very small size there and using VRay's VFB with "Render to memory frame buffer" off and saving directly to a raw image file.

hi guys,

even i use to have the same problem.

but the map which it used to get this error mssg was been created in photoshop with very much high resolution( say 300 resolution in photoshop).....and max use to stop render the scenes in animation and also for stil images.

after some rand d i found out tht decreasing the map resolution or quality of the jpeg map which cmes at end while saving the file as Jpeg. check with 4 to 5 number instead of 12 .....this wil reduce your problem of geting that error mssg ...

if u ask me therz nothng to do with VFB for this Bitmap loading error mssg.

though it may b other solution for this problem.

hope ths info helps u.....

cheers

nivas

Thanks for all the valuable comments so far!

finally i got the solution solved after a lots of tweaking with the DM and also reducing the size of some texture. I also reverted to use small size buckets of 48 istead of 96 I was using before. I increased the DM to 3072 mb and made it Static. Since, making it Dynamic max was crashing some times.

Rick, I am ur fan!

• 2 weeks later...