The Proof is in the Paper.....

BrianKitts

So this is one that I don't think has been brought up before...

I'm in a new office now, new printers and new monitors. Monitors are calibrated, and it's time to start in on the new printer that arrived today. Proper calibration means proper stock and I'm realizing that I need to put in for new print stock cause what we currently have isn't worthy of a quality print.

So I thought I'd start a discussion. At my previous place of employement we used about 5 stocks. A decent bond BW laser up to 11x17, a nice brightwhite for the color laser up to 11x17, glossy and matte 44" rolls for the color plotters, and a bond for the production black and white laser plotter.

How many stocks do people keep on average and what brands do you use.

I've totally forgotten what I printed on in the past so it's time to start looking into what I want to request for the new office.

looking forward to hearing from all. thx - bk

I have a Epson 1400 which I do most of my printing on.

I have recycled bright white 8.5 x 11 from Staples for everyday office stuff.

I have recycled bright white 11 x 17 from Staples for printing drawings.

I also have Epson Super Premium photo paper glossy in the following sizes:

4x6 (tests and fliers/leave-behinds)

8.5 x 11

11 x 17

I am very happy with printer and paper I use.

On the Premium Glossy Photo paper, I've always used either Epson or Ilford for my Epson photo printer with good results. The other day I was in a hurry and bought HP Premium Glossy Photo paper at Office Max. The quality of the print was so bad I actually returned the paper. I'm sure the HP paper is good quality, but maybe there is a mismatch with the Epson inks or something, but it just didn't work.

On our color plotter (an HP DJ 5500) we use the HP Premium Instant Dry Satin exclusively. On our color laser (a Canon Imagerunner 2880) we use some Staples cheap stuff for the majority of printing but for marketing pieces we use Hammermill 28lbs color copy and 80lbs color cover. The B&W plotters (which I have very little to do with) hold Oce recycled bond.

I've read and been told several times that the recommendation of HP, Epson and the like to use their brand of paper on the inkjets is accurate. It sort of makes sense that given a finite amount of R&D time, your focus will be on mating your ink to your paper rather than your ink to papers B, C, D, etc.

As for the Hammermill, when we bought the color laser we were pricing from two competing vendors both kept their units loaded up with the stuff.