First time my build own PC

I’m excited looking forward buys first time for build my own PC this weekend hopefully.

Here my wish choice list kit search after most CG Architect forum popular choice

CPU: -Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 - 65mm, 775, 2.4 GHz, 1066MHz, 8MB Cache

CPU Cooler:-Big fin heat sink i.e. Cool Master

Motherboard: -Unknown, Hard to choice which – Maybe Intel P4 - nForce 780i SLI or Abit IP35. It took me long time decides which one.

Note:- I’m not sure which latest motherboard is best one. Can you help me point it out correct one, Please see list on website: - http://www.scan.co.uk or http://www.cclonline.co.uk

Graphic Card: -512MB NVidia Geforce 8800 GT

RAM:- 4GB Ram DDR2 ( 2 x 2MB Ram slot ) with copper heat sink plate.

Maybe possible get maximum 8GB if I find cheap one.

PSU - 550W

Drive: -DVD-RW and DVD Rom and 3.5 Inch floppy Disk Drive - Do we need it or not

HHD: - 120GB for Master drive & 250GB for Slave Drive

Soundcard: -Unimportant & not care – Any crap cheap one good enough for me

Software: -OEM XP Professional X64 Edition SP 2 – If I can find one

Do you think it good enough for high model 3D Max and Photoshop?

Few other questions (slightly off my record):-

1) Is SLI motherboard and SLI Graphic Card is waste of money and not worth? After I find other website forum suggest it is for gamer hardcore only. Not good for 3D render? Is that true.

2) Do you think should I wait for few months until new CPU Yorkfield / Penyrn come out and Core 2 Extreme or Quad price will drop down?

my only advice is to buy an OPENGL 3D Accelerator (quadro fx)instead of geforce coz you need this for 3d.

Hmmm what about the bang for the buck factor... You can get a screaming 1gb 8800GT for under $300.. whereas the 512mb quadro FX1700 starts around $450 and the newer 256mb FX 3500 starts around $800. Anyone want to comment on the pros/cons of these two GPUs?

Depends on which software you use. You don't "need this for 3d".

-A Geforce will run OpenGL but a Quadro will do a better job of it and will use features that a Geforce won't.

-A Geforce and a Quadro are about equally good at running Direct3D, assuming they're the same speed chips. A Quadro therefore costs more to get the same Direct3D performance as a Geforce.

Max and Viz use Direct3D - it's the default as of Max9/Viz08 and with older versions you can still use it, but the shift was that now the advanced viewport options are for Direct3D.

Most other 3D software uses OpenGL but most of it doesn't use the features that require a Quadro. For example, Sketchup and Cinema4D will run quite well on a Geforce.

Some very advanced software requires a Quadro (or FireGL) - for example, the high quality hardware shading modes in AliasStudio won't run on a Geforce. But I've never seen anybody on this board trying to run that anyway.

For most uses a Geforce 8800GT is excellent and will cost maybe $250.

Hi Chris, good luck with your first build, it's pretty simple really, and once you've done it you'll never look back!

My only advice would be to maybe consider the AMD chip. I can't comment on the Intel quadro, but in my experience every AMD chip I've purchased recently has been pound for pound far better than the intels. To be fair I've been comparing the dual core pentiums with the dual core AM2 chips, and the AMDs have been a LOT faster.

I'm building two more render nodes this week, and I'm going to be putting AMD quads in them both, as the quad chips are only £120 each, for 9500. A bargain I'd say. The other thing I might add is, I've been using a none quadro 7800GTX for two years now and it has taken a serious amount of poly's to make it chug. I'm not convinced the quadro's can justify their extra £££s for a small operation, as the consumer GFX cards are getting so quick now.

with regard to you mobo, make sure it has giga lan.

Just my two pences worth.

Matt: I'd suggest you try the Core 2 series chips instead of the Pentium D. The Core 2 is far faster, using less power, and in all the tests I've seen it a Core 2 Quad Q6600 outperforms all of the AMD quad line.

Tay: OpenGL is faster for AutoCAD versions previous to 2008, when they added Direct3D support. Now it's just a price-per-performance issue and unless you need the extremely high end support the Quadro is too expensive to make sense.

Hi AJLynn, unfortunately I've had three of the D chips now for about 12 months, and I would gladly swap them for core 2s or AMDs, I've very disappointed with their performance.

As for the quads, the AMDs Am2+ chips seem very good value for money, I was going to go for the AM2 but I'm splashing out a little more, but the intels would cost me yet another £60 or so for a pair, which is beyond my budget at the mo.

I'm surprised that I've managed to build a fairly respectable 18 processor render farm of 6 PCs, for under £2K in 12 months!!

I have been look up your suggest about Video Graphic - I would love to get Quadro Card but it out of my range of price. Quadro is expensive one. So I decide stick on 8800GT series as they still popular here.

I was shocked top of range1.5GB Quadro FX4500 cost around £2,000 -.That bloody expensive.:eek:

Also I still stick to Intel Core to Quad rather than AMD. Sorry AMD guy - Im Intel fan.

Graphic Card : 1GB Gainward 8800GT Bliss , PCI-E 2.0x16, 1800MHz, GDDR3, GPU 600MHz, 2 x Dual Link DVI

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Compare.asp?CPID=23681&CPID=23586&CPID=23256

Motherborad:- Asus P5N-T Deluxe, NF780i SLI, 3-Way SLi, 775, PCI-E 2.0 (x16), DDR2, SATA II, SATA RAID, ATX

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=729915

Is that good or crap? I did spend 5 hour to get my head around this complication mobo and try void DDR3 Ram. I try keep homework tonight as other forum suggest about RAM + GPU recently

Thank for advice and Please keep more suggest coming in until this friday night before my final decide

Hi Chris, well I went for a Core 2 Quad Q6600 aswell actually in the end, I did some reading up, and it seems that it is fairly accepted that the new Intels are better.

It's a shame, as I've stuck AMDs in the past because of their value for money, but it seems like that has changed, let's hope it was worth the extra pennies!

Last weekend, I have already brought half of kit from Scan Computer. They are nice and good friendly advisor expert area better than PC World. :)

MOBO - Asus P5N-T Deluxe

CPU - Core 2 Quad Q6600

Graphic Card - Gainward Bliss Nvidia Geforce 8800GT 1024MB

RAM - Corsair 4 x 1GB DDR2 1066MH PC2-8500 C5 - Total 4GB ram

Software - OEM Window XP Pro 64 Edition SP2c

Soon will buy bit more other part coming soon.

1) PC Case - ideally go buy Car boot sale or ebay, Then made mod little bit by myself

2) Hard Drive - 100GB

3) Flobby Disk drive - Doe we need it one or finished

4) PSU - 550W

I can't wait start it up.

• 3 weeks later...

so how do you like the computer. I am looking at building or buying a new system very soon. I am looking at the dell xps system right now it seems to have everything needed for 3ds.. does anyone have any experience with the dell xps 720 or 630 system. I am interested to hear from anyone that has used one for 3D.

Last weekend, I have already brought half of kit from Scan Computer. They are nice and good friendly advisor expert area better than PC World. :)

MOBO - Asus P5N-T Deluxe

CPU - Core 2 Quad Q6600

Soon will buy bit more other part coming soon.

1) PC Case - ideally go buy Car boot sale or ebay, Then made mod little bit by myself

2) Hard Drive - 100GB

3) Flobby Disk drive - Doe we need it one or finished

4) PSU - 550W

I can't wait start it up.

Well well, last week I was very badly ill for whole one week. Blame to bad weather. :rolleyes:

So Really last weekend, I've got all complete build my own PC expect only one left missing that Im still waiting order Power Supply Unit (PSU) from warehouse. They are out of stock last week :mad: -. Until now, Hopefully they will delevier to my house either tomorrow or Thursday. I still annnoy waiting now. I wanna get on play my computer.

Only problem is I was relased stupidly that I've got very cheap ATX midi PC Case was bit small squeezed for large motherboard and massive video graphic Card fit into case (maybe will show photo later). I should have go for large one. Never mind this.

When I 'm done build PC and boost up BOIS then I will report back to you end of this week Okay. Hopefully it was good fast enough for me. Easy to build one.

I find most useful helpful advice from http://www.tomshardware.co.uk. It's brillant information expect I know they are mad hardcore gamer but I'm sure close similar one to 3D designer for you all. I think you should go have a look compare advice at Tom's Hardware forum and CGArchitec forum.

I finid interest about Tom's Hardware recommend about PSU. They advice us dont go for cheap one crappy can damage into your motherboard. See below click here for list of Tier group of recommend. Also there have PSU Calucator to suit your need.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/243648-10-power-supply

http://www.tomswiki.com/page/Tiered+PSU+Listings?t=anon

Also they say to me that 100GB Hard drive disk is too small. common one go for 250GB HHD.

Here final my full kit list

MOBO - Asus P5N-T Deluxe

CPU - Core 2 Quad Q6600

PC Case - Got from Ebay

1st Hard Drive - 250GB Western Drive

2st Hard Drive -Oold 250GB take from old computer

PSU - 600W OCZ GameXStream

Flobby Disk drive - I decide dont need one - Use Flash memory stick instead this.