Vray hard Crashing during or after Prepass 5, HELP!!

whoodt

HELP!!

I'm using 3ds max 2008 on a mac with boot camp, so basically on XP.

2GB ram. Vray v1.5

I'm rendering a scene at 5850X2600 px. All seems fine until it hits prepass 5 or after, then poof, 3ds just disappears off the scene, no warnings, errors. Like it was never launched.

I'm not using Vray Frame buffer, but should I? The scene is not overly complicated, just a few (around 12) organic blobs (think lava lamp, turbo smoothed iteration = 4) with a reflective and slightly refractive material, and 3 lights (vray light material) Pretty basic.

I've done other work of the same scale, if not more complex on the same hardware setup but things rendered fine. Any suggestions? THANKS!

This is a memory problem I think, I have some experience with that. Max crashes and just shuts down without a warning.

Some tips that worked for me:

Adaptive QMC uses less memory than subdivision.

Uncheck 'show calc phase'

And in your 'system tab' you can indicate how many dynamic memory max uses, increase it too 1000mb and change geometry to dynamic beneath it.

These are things I did, and worked for me.

I work with Max 9 and this version only uses 1.5 gb, of the 2gb so perhaps there lies the problem (don't know with max 2008, perhaps it can use the full 2gb)

Check your processes when your rendering, and see how many memory max uses just before it shuts down.

Greetz

Prepass 5? That's a lot of prepasses. How large is the IRMAP? How many polys are your 12 blobs with 4 iterations of smoothing making? What's the memory utilization at? Are you using the /3GB switch? What are the materials like? All this stuff can add up to a surprising amount of memory used.

Yeah, I dont know why. Usually it's just 4 prepasses, but maybe the material I had bumped it up to 5?

IRMap was set at Very High without modifying any settings.

Polygon counts...hmmmI dont know, but not very high considering the viewports are moving/rotating lightning fast even in shadow/highlight mode.

Memory utilization- according to the rendering panel, by the time it blows up, Memory Used: P about 1100M

What is the 3GB switch?

Material. Just some non textural reflective material (falloff) with a little refraction, nothing crazy.

I was using Brute Force secondary bounce, and even when I changed all material to the default vray (grey) it crashed. But it rendered ok with light cache as secondary bounce and default material as mentioned. Now I'm trying to render the real thing with Light cache and its default settings.

Well there you go. You've run out of memory available to Vray. I think you'll find that using a lesser IRMap preset (very high is way more than you're going to need for most uses - try the lowest one and if that works, step it up a notch) combined with dropping the turbo smooth iterations to 3 (it's a procedural system that will generate more polys at render time than while working) and using the /3GB switch (just google it) will go a long way.

Crap it just crashed, after about an hour in the middle of Prepass 5; although I did see the error message quickly. It says something like memory allocation error, it was requesting for something around 1600MB and only 1200MB is available. I'm on a MAC at work so I cant really screw around with the system, so maybe not the 3GB switch for now.

I might also get rid of that slight refraction thing on the materials.

God bless ME!!!!!

The problem is very clear:

You are doing too much computation on too many polygons and this is causing you to run out of memory and crash.

To solve this problem, you must reduce the amount of computation, reduce the number of polygons and increase the available memory. Do this by using a lower GI preset, fewer Turbosmooth iterations and the /3GB switch, which Google will tell you about and which does work in Bootcamp.