low poly vs. high poly

jorisAR

I'm looking for wireframe renders of the same piece of furniture, one low poly version and one high poly version.

It's to for my thesis, to show the difference between low poly and high poly...also concerning the different amout of memory a computer uses for these ones.

I'm not good at modelling, so is there someone how can provide me that, perhaps if possible with the same camera viewport.

Or a low poly and high poly model of the same 3ds max model, so I can render it myself. It doesn't have to be something big...

thanks in advance

greetz

Well main differences between low poly and high poly are:

1) Polygon count - thus less memory is used up when using low poly

2) Low poly - more textures / High poly - more shaders (probably)

3) Low poly - mid-far range views and shots/ High poly - close ups and rather closer shots and views (not always true, depends)

Im really not sure if this topic is really worth covering in greater detail. What else can I say? Really nothing more springs to mind at the moment.

Dont have any furniture in low poly to donate.

I know its not what you asked for but hope that helps somehow. :p

Cheers

Thanks for the reply,I can use it to make a little bit of text.

I'm not going to cover this, just to mention it.

The subject I'm talking about in my thesis is about rendering, and low / high poly does make a difference considering render time, that's why I want to metion a few lines about this and show a picture.

Especially for fellow students how don't know what I'm talking about :)

why not use a dead simple model, ie the tea pot! you can adjust the complexity in the settings.

regarding low poly models though, origionally the polycount was kept low for performace in real time applications, such as games. it wasnt so much a memory problem, more of a processor problem.

theres also a 3rd area i think your missing. low poly models, with normal maps, so they appear as high poly models. very clever stuff.