Vray Sun system doesn't shine through glass material into room

David Ghazawy

I have a problem with the vray sun system not shining through a glass window. The glass isn't allowing the light to get through so what I end up with is a darkened room. Also my background environment map (that's meant to be seen through the window) isn't seen; what I get is a solid black colour on the outside.

Does anyone know of a solution? I'm somewhat familiar with the vray engine but this is the first time I've rendered glass and encountered this problem.

Thanks

David Ghazawy

:confused:

can you post a screenshot of your material-setting? one reason why the backround does not have any affect could be caused by the exposure control. under the outputcontrol wind up the rgb value can solve this. and make sure that the geomtry of the glass has a thickness. also check the affect shadow button and reflect on backside.

greets

Ok.. Andy you're right on the money with the "affect shadows" option. Now the sun shines through.

I'm still having a problem with the background though moodo. I'm using an older version of Vray (advanced 1.09.03r), so some of your suggestions are getting lost on me. I'll post two screen shots soon (one of the actual scene and another of the scene material).

Thanks for the quick replies

David

Hey Brian

I usually work with Brazil on my workstation. This is the version of Vray installed on my father's aging PC (so take up the fight with him :) ... but I'll get around to eventually upgrading it).

Do you have a solution for letting the max environment map settings come through in the renderings?

Actually just got his account details. I'm downloading 1.5 now but since I've used up our internet bandwidth this month I've had my connection slowed down (it will reset at the beginning of next month). So it's going to take a few hours to download.

I still feel I'm going to have the same problem with the environment map.

The 'affect alpha' option is on. For now I'm just going to resort to using presets from http://www.vray-materials.de (they have a good selection of materials).

I'll experiment with vray and try to solve the problem by gaining a bit of experience / going through tutorials for vray. Thanks

the majority of those materials i have tested are set up more for product shots than arch viz. the settings are often to high, and will render slow if used without modification.

Dear Crazy homeless guy

Thanks for the heads up on the materials. What are your thoughts on VisMasters V-Ray Materials Volumes 1 and 2? http://vrayinfo.vismasters.com/catalog/viewproduct.aspx?product=4466

Also has anyone used RTSquare (it's a GPU based rendering plug-in for 3ds Max). I'll be testing this over the next week to see if there any noticeable improvements in rendering time.

http://www.rtsquare.eu/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=288&Itemid=256

I'll be also testing NVIDIA's Gelato 2.2 after that (I probably should have started this on another thread).

http://www.nvidia.com/page/gz_learn.html

For other people having problems with Vray sun not shining through glass, i've experienced this too today.

I made a window frame with glass inside, and applied a multi-sub object. In this case the sun doesn't shine trough the glass. When I detach the glass material, and apply the same glass material (but now NOT in a multi-sub material) to the glass, the Vraysun DOES shine trough!

Is this weird or what?

If found that depenging on how the glass is modelled will effect its transparency.

2D flat plane glass seems to render in a completly different way to a glass with 5mm thickness.

A scene i was working on this week had glass modelled in both ways with the same material. the 3D object was transparent, the 2d one was not...

Could be that??