DELL XPSM1730 for 3ds MAX 2008?

JAVB

WHICH NEW LAPTOP? 3ds MAX 2008

I know this is a subjective question with many possible answers, but I am looking for some opinions. I am in the process of purchasing a laptop specifically to use with 3ds Max 2008. I need a laptop because I travel and work in many locations. According to Autodesk's website minimum requirements for 3ds max 2008 are as follows:

MIN. SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS:

• Microsoft Windows Vista OR Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64
  • DirectX® 9.0c* (required), OpenGL® (optional)
  • Shader Model 3.0 (Pixel Shader and Vertex Shader 3.0)
  • Microsoft® Internet Explorer® 6 or higher

MIN. HARDWARE REQUIREMENTS:

• Intel® Pentium® IV or AMD Athlon® XP or higher processor
  • 512 MB RAM (1 GB RAM recommended)
  • 500 MB swap space (2 GB SWAP SPACE recommended)
  • Hardware-accelerated OpenGL and Direct3D supported
  • Microsoft Windows-compliant pointing device (optimized for Microsoft IntelliMouse®)
  • DVD-ROM drive

Autodesk tested the following portable computers for 3ds max 2008:

Dell Precision M65

Dell Precision M90

Dell Precision M4300

Dell Precision M6300

Dell Precision 390

Lenovo T60p

Lenovo T61p

Lenovo Z61p

HP 8510w

HP 8710w

HP nw8440

HP nw9440

TEST RESULTS: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...12&id=10242786

q4wk13_xpsnb_m1730.jpg

I am thinking about getting a DELL XPSM1730

1. Does anyone use one with 3ds max 2008? If so how is it?

2. Is there a better out-of-box laptop alternative?

Thanks in advance for any responses,

Jason

My company just bought exactly that model to test out as a replacement to our workstations, we are thinking about possibly doing away with all desktops in our new office. Spec'd out to the max, it was a great system and ran well both for max2008 and archicad, which we rely heavily on the openGL for both.

My only comment is that it's a brick, If you plan on traveling with the thing get yourself a rollerbag or you'll end up with a broken shoulder. The one I tested had a 2.8ghz coreDuo processor and it only benchmarked 16% faster than my personal laptop that has a 2.3ghz coreDuo processor. Combine that with the 17" screen isn't worth the weight as compared to a 15" book IMO... the thing is just rediculously heavy. My suggestion would be if you are on a budget, save money on processor and go for a more compact sized system.

To tell you the truth I think laptops are great for travel and work on the road, but to really produce images you need the support of a couple of machines for rendering housepower at home when you aren't on the road. Which if you have that in place then the extra couple of gigahertz, really isn't worth the price....

The other downside to the XPSM1730 was the thickness of it's base. The whole base is almost an inch and a half thick and it really feels like the keyboard was in an odd position for comfortable typing.... Think of hanging your hands over the keyboard like you are guiding marionettes. I ended up using a USB keyboard and mouse to finish out testing it. And finally the trackpad seemed really tiny, but that's partially because I'm used to working on a macbookPro with a touchpad twice the size of dells.

I really see the XPSM1730 as a desktop replacement not a traveling laptop. Their tag about it being a gamer's dream come true is spot on..... If you sit at home and play games its a great system, if you travel with it for work its not ideal at all.

• 2 weeks later...

the 1730 is a brick and is ugly! the former 1710 was much better in this regard, unfortunately it is not available anymore.

have a look at this one from alienware too:

http://www.alienware.com/product_pages/notebook_m15x.aspx?source=ECH0026

the only problem would be the 1920x1200 display with 15" which is a bit too much IMO. unfortunately the lower one is only a 1440x900. i wonder why they didn't include a 1680x1050 which would be perfect for this size.

but apart from that it seems to be quite a powerful notebook with an 8800gtx. you could definitely play crysis on this one with high settings :D