Revit Compatibility Issues

Revit files get huge. All data is kept in one file - that's all data f the entire project, so the files regularly go over 100mb. The collaborative features (e.g. look up "Save To Central") transfer the entire file to or from the server.

It's so slow I'm advocating upgrading our office to gigabit. Doing it over WAN would suck more than I care to contemplate.

We are a small company that has two locations. Working with Revit worksharing used to be so slow that it was not possible for us before we upgraded to a set of Riverbed boxes(wan acceleration devices).

We have a realtively slow line 2mbit in and 512 mb out, and thought about getting a city to city dedicated line, which would probably solve our problems. but the price pr. month was outrageous.

I asked one of the Revit gurus in Autodesk what he recommended and he suggested Riverbed.

It works like a charm, and the guys at Riverbed has been absolutely fantastic and helpfull in setting it all up for us over the phone/mail.

The boxes was expensive but the performance was outrageous, so fast I started to think that something was not right.

We had a huge Revit file of about 100 mb, which took 30 minutes before the boxes was set up. After the boxes was installed it uploaded in something like 20 seconds. The first time you transfer something over it takes a long time, then the second time it transfers really fast.

If anybody wonders no I don't work for Riverbed, I am just a very pleased customer.

Hope this helps

There are various WAFS and caching appliance and software-based solutions which work very well for other applications as well, for example Steelhead from Riverbed, the Tacit Networks appliance, and Availl software. While work sharing, Revit is constantly checking to make sure items are not being edited by others, and locking items when you edit them. If the network is slow, Revit will be slow.

• 2 weeks later...

We have Riverbeds in all our offices. We did our benchmarking well over a year, and it was definitely worth the expense. We just recently added the Steelheads (Riverbed) Mobile Software to our laptop users. I went from Save To Central times in excess of an hour down to 10 minutes connecting from a hotel with VPN. I have had the Steelhead Mobile for maybe 3 months and I now wouldn't work without it.