New EXPENSIVE comp with VERY slow viewport

Hi guys,

Firstly, please excuse my 'noobness'. When i was learning, i missed a lot of the basics.

I've just spent big $$ on a machine that a person in the trade recommended to me. The specs are as follows:

Vista 64-bit

Dual Quad Core Intel Xeon @ 2mghz each

8 gig ram

Nvidia Quadro FX 4600

The render times are excellent, however, the viewport navigation is ridiculously slow. It is actually slower with the same scene than my 3yr old POS computer and i spent good money on the Quadro.

Ive tried openGL and directx with openGL SLIGHTLY faster.

I cant understand how using the same settings, same scene on my old computer can be faster?

Any help would be SO appriciated.

Vista 64-bit

If you must use Vista, turn off all, and I mean all visual enhancement features. When you are done, your interface should look something like Windows 2000. That is the baseline interface. Everything else is layering coats of cheap icing in attempt to make it look better, but at a dramatic cost of speed and performance.

I don't know that this is your problem, but I am running Vista on my laptop, and one of the first things I had to do was roll back the interface to get a half decent performance.

....and I am not saying this is going to solve the problems Vista is creating either, just make them less of a problem.

Curious - what is 'Maxtreme'? I've never heard of it.

From nvidia's site: "MAXtreme is a performance driver for Autodesk's 3ds Max software. Developed in close collaboration with Autodesk, MAXtreme is a free, downloadable software driver capable of delivering dramatic performance improvements of up to 100%, on some tests, when coupled with NVIDIA Quadro® FX professional graphics solutions."

Maxstreme is a great improvement for viewport speed and stability. IMHO it's the only reason to shell out the extra loot for a quadro card. If you're using a quadro without maxstreme might as well have saved your money and bought a gtx.

there is a version for 2008, not sure of how it works with vista, here's the link.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/maxtreme_10.00.01.html

IMHO it's the only reason to shell out the extra loot for a quadro card. If you're using a quadro without maxstreme might as well have saved your money and bought a gtx.

I've never been able to get Maxtreme to work well with my Quadro 4500 and max 8. Really frustrating, especially because of the money spent. I just use DirectX, it runs OK but I would have been just as good with a GeForce card.

I've never been able to get Maxtreme to work well with my Quadro 4500 and max 8. Really frustrating, especially because of the money spent. I just use DirectX, it runs OK but I would have been just as good with a GeForce card.

Max R8 had a lot of viewport issues. I couldn't get maxstreme to work consistantly with it either. every release before was fine and R9 was fine. there was something going on with R8 more then the video card driver. I'm using Viz 2008 now and there has been a 100% performance diffrence while using the maxstreme driver. it's been the difference between having objects displayed as box (just to be able to pan in the viewport) and not needing too and panning quicker.

Max R8 had a lot of viewport issues. I couldn't get maxstreme to work consistantly with it either. every release before was fine and R9 was fine. there was something going on with R8 more then the video card driver. I'm using Viz 2008 now and there has been a 100% performance diffrence while using the maxstreme driver. it's been the difference between having objects displayed as box (just to be able to pan in the viewport) and not needing too and panning quicker.

Interesting....could be time to finally upgrade. I've got max 9 and 2008 sitting on the shelf watching me work. They do look neglected.

This thread is a perfect example of why the old adage of "you get what you pay for" is utter bull sh!t.

In the computer world - especially niche markets such as ours - getting a good, fast machine does NOT mean blowing a ton of dough. You could have spend probably HALF as much on a machine just as fast... without the fancy, and yet overpriced, Xeon and Quadro components.

this sounds stupid but try taking out 4gb of ram. I just had in 8gb. Vista has been totally unuseable. I mean cant even open up iexplorer with more than one tab. I took out 4gb and now its light lightning.

Try it. Could work.

Did anyone have a problem with moving a selection after installing the MAXtreme d3d?

The selection jumps to a new location as soon as I start the drag on the viewport.

What the hell??

I do to! I assumed it was my mouse.

Ive downgraded/UPGRADED to XP now and everything seems to running MUCH better and the mouse jump seems to be a little less although it is still apparent.

I have dual quad, 64bit, quadro fx3500 with XP - Max was never better! I tried the MAXtreme and got nothing better, just the weired selection move. When switching back to Direct 3D the problem was gone.

The quadro is so good as it is, I just can't see how it could improve by 100% as NVIDIA suggest.