Just overclocked my quad core

i believe q6600 is the most overclocable processor right now and i have been doing a research for doing an overclock . while doing that intel motherboards are most stable motherboar but they dont let you overclock your processor from your bios . it was heart rendering seeing people overclocking it upto 4GHZ with gigabyte and nvidia motherboards. but i found a way out .. its called tape modding. just place a tiny electrical tape on a specific pin of the processor and thats it .. WoW .. Im so happy now .. 3 ghz x 4 = 12 ghz of raw processing power ... rendering has never been so fun for me ...

overclocking has naturally got some risks of overheating and causing damage but not like old days . processors of today got better thermal sensors and shuts down automatically in case of anything goes wrong . yet u have to try it on your own risk . i got help from http://www.ocforums.com

no better way to make your investment work for you to the fullest and beyond.. and yah .. im not preeching overclocking here , just sahring my experience...

2nty45e.jpg

You're right about this being a very overclockable chip, but this tape thing... I've never seen that done before and it doesn't seem like it should be necessary. I've seen people running the Q6600 way over 3GHz. The keys are:

-An overclocking friendly motherboard, with RAM that can run at the overclock speeds

-Excellent cooling

-A very good power supply

That's really all. Something like an Asus P5K series board. (What's all this about Intel being the most stable boards? If my Asus is less stable than an Intel I'll eat it.) Add something like Crucial XMS DDR2-800 RAM, an Ultra-120 Extreme with fan, a good case and a Neopower 650 and you're at 3.2GHz without really trying.

For the love of God, don't do that overclock, tape or otherwise, without upgrading your heatsink and power supply.

Would ordinary electrical tape provide a permanent barrier? I don't think it can withstand the high heat generated from OC'ing. I've never heard of covering this pin either, but if it does work I would use a high heat paint instead of electrical tape.

i used this tape mod teqnic because im using an intel DG33FB motherboard which will nto let me chage the FSB or vcore from my bios , and i didnt knwo that when i buy it and this is a very expensive motherboard which i dont want to change for now ...

Well, if it worked, more power to you. Just keep an eye on temperature and watch for memory glitches. The overclock changed the RAM speed, and the 3GHz is an aggressive overclock, and that MB might not have the headroom to remain stable.