Computer slowwww with large scenes

I am curious as to what type of computer (speed, memory, etc) is best for 3ds max. I thought I had an ok system but I am finding out that with larger scenes my system is crashing just moving around the scene or using boolean on a large object. I have around 2.5gb of memory and a Pentium 4 - 3ghz processor, nvidia geforce 7600 GT 256mb and vista.. I am only a student so this is a computer i use at home I just want to either upgrade this computer or buy , build another system that will work with 3ds and not crash every second. any advice would be appreciated.

It's true that the P4 is quite slow by today's standards, and I don't see running ista on it as a good idea at all. I think your first order of business could be to downgrade it to XP and clean it up. If you really want some performance in Max you'll want a Core2 Duo or Quad, 4GB RAM, XP and a new video card.

Ya i guess i have been out of the computer loop for quite a while now. So what would you guys recommend. I guess i can part out my system and sell it on ebay.

It's true that the P4 is quite slow by today's standards, and I don't see running ista on it as a good idea at all. I think your first order of business could be to downgrade it to XP and clean it up. If you really want some performance in Max you'll want a Core2 Duo or Quad, 4GB RAM, XP and a new video card.

Would you guys recommend the DELL XPS 720 and in what configuration would be best.

Intel® Core™2 Q6600 Quad-Core (8MB L2 cache,2.4GHz,1066FSB)

Windows® XP Media Center 2005 Edition with re-installation CD

4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 4 DIMMs edit

160GB - WD Raptor 10000RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache

2ND HARD DRIVE 160GB - Seagate 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 8MB Cache

VIDEO CARD nVidia GeForce 8800 GT 512MB