HDR photography

BrianKitts

Whooooaahh!! Tonemapping overkill on the first site! Like most techniques, less is more.

Always makes me smile how we spend ages getting our images to look like photographs, blowing out exteriors etc, and the photographers are doing the opposite and making their photographs look like renders. :)

it is becoming the “Bob Ross technique” of the photography.

lol, I read this in one of the comments on the first site. Most of those hdr photos have very unrealistic lighting. I thought the whole point of multiple exposure photography was to get closer to what someone sees in real life.

I like the second link, except for the daytime hdr shots.

Huh, ... gulp ... gulp... ,how did i miss this post.

I think both sites are brilliant. Its almost as if the photographer/s are saying 'F the photography world, this works' and imo, it does.

I have taken loads of hdr shots where the tone mapping didn't work, now i feel like re-doing them in this fashion.

Brilliant post Brian!! thanx

Thanx Magnus. Welkome to the site. There is only one HDR shot in it though, the windmill with the bridge infront of it.

Here is one I quickly did. I don't fancy the sky, seems i need to take more than just 3 stops in 3 shots

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks AdriaaN. Nice perspective. The sky is a bit blown out, but nevertheless a cool shot.

I shot this a few weeks ago. The whole block is going to be demolished soon so, I wanted to get a capture. 3xp, photomatix and pshop. It's a bit saturated, I know ;)

Hi...

I've got a fisheye lens (8mm) on an old Nikon Coolpix 5000 and a pan head that lets you adjust the focal point for 360-degree shots.

I use it for 'normal' photography of rooms in houses for real estate and home builders.

I use photomatrix pro to 'average' the photos into a single layered jpg and the lighting looks great.

Now - I'd like to shoot HDRs. I have the hardware and the software. I use the program photomatrix to stitch my pan head photos together to get a 360-degree spherical and cylinderical shots. If doesn't support stitching HDRs.

If I could get Photoshop CS2 (and I'm willing to upgrade to CS3 if this works) to stitch the photos for me, then I can make my 9 HDRs (I shoot 9 photos to make a cylinder pan) in Photomatrix and then stitch them in Photoshop.

Does anyone have any ideas? If I can start making HDRs, I'll be happy to start sharing HDRs of Australia with everyone.

Thanking you..

Hi Adriann,

I have a marking guide on my pan head - align the camera HERE for a cylinder pan, or align it HERE for a spherical. The pan head manufacturer (Kaidan) made the guide specifically for that particular make and model of camera.

Can you elaborate on 'calculating the nodal point'? I just googled some tutorials and CS2's PhotoMerge doesn't care about the focal length of the lens (8mm), field of view or anything.

Thanking you...

there is allot of 'how to' tuts on the net.

It basically comes down to setting the nodal for the lens so that your points of alignment on the edges of the image actually lines up exactly.

The nodal point is the exact location in the lens where the light is flipped, you need to rotate the camera around that point, and not the base of the camera.

Hi...

According to the website below, PhotoShop CS3 can only accurately stitch photos taken with a fairly normal focal length lens (around 50mm):

http://www.versiontracker.com/php/feedback/article.php?story=20070531000126728

PS3 is ONLY GOOD FOR stitching an equirectangular image. try to use that image as a VR and you will see that PS3 DOES NOT wrap it's blending algo... so you will always see a seam. the right side of the image is never blended to the left side so the shots are UNUSABLE for QTVR. and until PS3 fixes that - it is INFERIOR to PTGui.

All of the other websites that I googled and surfed to pretty much had nice stitched panoramic images, but they were all equirectangular photos. PS3 (the demo at least) seems to freak out when I load my 8mm fisheye photos into it and run Edit -> Auto-Align - no matter what option I pick.

My normal panoramic software manages to stitch 9 photos together in a few seconds, with no stitch errors (unless my camera was off a bit when I took the images).

I was kind of surprised this morning to see this thread still running.... I had forgotten about it.

So what the heck, here's some more photography eye candy for you that I just came across. It's just play with a single long term exposure, as opposed to combining multiple exposures, but still pretty fun!

http://abduzeedo.com/awesome-light-graffiti-pictures