Failing to scale the object

joshihyd

Hi,

Some times, I am not able to scale an object, especially when I group it. For example a window with all frame, glass etc., are grouped together, the scaling gizmo is resizing without any effect. Even when I transfer the file through merge into another file, I fail to move or tranform or scale the the object unless I ungroup it. Kindly give me a solution to this.

Hi joshi,

it's not supposed to happen like that at all! Something must have gone kaput. If this happens regularly maybe you should re-install max. Have you tried doing it with a simple set of three boxes grouped together just to see what's happening?

rnx

Hello Aditya,

Probably its not due to Krpt max application ( Max 9). When I transfer this object to some other file which already contains grouped objects the problem is only with the present object and not with the already present grouped objects in the file. Even I could not move the merged object unless I ungroup it. If you want I can transfer the object so that you can try yourself and find out the fault. If so, please inform me the procedure how I can transfer the file to you.

Joshi

Hello Aditya,

Probably its not due to Krpt max application ( Max 9). When I transfer this object to some other file which already contains grouped objects the problem is only with the present object and not with the already present grouped objects in the file. Even I could not move the merged object unless I ungroup it. If you want I can transfer the object so that you can try yourself and find out the fault. If so, please inform me the procedure how I can transfer the file to you.

Joshi

If you do a save selected of the troublesome grouped object and transfer the file via some facility such as YouSendit? my email id is rnx at softhome dot net. Will give it a shot certainly. BTW does this contain procedural objects? I've had some nasty experiences with the doors and windows of max. They seem to follow their own will to a large extent. Also have you put a transform modifier (Xform) before scaling? Always a good idea to do that.

rnx.

Hi friends,

I found a solution to the problem. As suggested by Mr. Rajib Aditya, I applied xform modifier before grouping the object. But this time also the grouped object couldnot be tranformed/ scaled. Then after right cliking on the object (i.e., in the quad menu ) I ticked gizmo on, after which I could scale. I donot know the reason. Will any one please explain me?

Thanku

Joshi

Hi,

the problem is with the contents of the group, and a "cyclic" operation when you try to scale both the lofted geometry and the shape/path that created it. Check your mail- it is explained better there. Thanks for sending the file- would not have figured out without access to it.

Anyway for max problems you are better off asking in the max forim.

All the best and cheers.

BTW the models look like they are coming out nice! Post some renders when you are done.

rnx