Modo ArchViz

jake256

Never posted here before. Thought I'd throw in a Modo render I did a few months ago for a client in Chicago. Looking for a few of Modo users that are more inclined to work with architecture.

This was modeled in SketchUp then exported in obj pieces to Modo. I've tried the new SketchUp plugin but there seem to be too many issues at this moment. Probably will get better if they continue development.

Nice rendering Jake. What issues did you have with the sketch up plugin? I am testing it right now and so far it is working for me.

@ Manta.Modo 301 is animation ready (Non-character animation). The 302 free update for current 301 users will be out within the next month or so. It will include a physical sky and sun and many other new modeling tools.

E

manta,

Modo has animation now. I have some stuff from this project at work. I put it on my site and provide a link. I have some quick clay model movies too that I'll dig out in bit. Works pretty well.

CHE,

One of the problems is the geometry comes in exploded so I have to merge the vertices to get smoothing to work. On large projects it's a pain to go through and do this. There are also times when I cannot get the materials to behave properly. It's as if I have not control over them. I never have this problem with .obj exports. It's pretty touch and go. I would also like the plugin to import only the layers turned on instead of all layers in the file.

I am looking forward to the physical sky!

Edit: BTW I'm on a mac.

Just found a few of my test animations:

LEED certified pavilion/education center for the National Lake Shore/Lake Michigan.

http://www.designorg.com/modo/portPavilion.mov

Here's a quick clay model just messing with the camera and the timeline.

http://www.designorg.com/modo/villa.mov

Here's an earlier render of the Chicago project. What I like about Modo is it's pretty quick for exterior renders. Usually 3,500-4,000 x 1800-2300 pixels will render in twenty-five minutes. I don't crank settings up the max, because I don't think its necessary for 95 percent of my clients. They won't notice the difference. We are trying to illustrate an idea, not prove what great technicians we are in the world of 3d. What's a little grain going to hurt?!

We are trying to illustrate an idea, not prove what great technicians we are in the world of 3d. What's a little grain going to hurt?!

agreed, however I think it is good to push renderings to the highest level to show as marketing materials to other possible clients what it is you "could" take the level to if they desired.

It's great to show design progress, but it'd also be great to capture clients' business for high end marketing images by showing them you're high end images, with no specs of dirt ;)

Great to see some work from modo, I really think this program is going to have a big future in the 3d industry.

Thanks for sharing your work!

agreed, however I think it is good to push renderings to the highest level to show as marketing materials to other possible clients what it is you "could" take the level to if they desired.

Well, that would be nice, but almost every project I've ever worked on in my life has these two things in common– a budget and a deadline. Usually our projects are changing up to the 11th hour. Something has to give somewhere, usually it's the stuff that's almost invisible in the rendering, but adds 5 hours of render time.

I like both images and I think this is the first time I have had a close look at any work done using Modo.

The people look really good in the first image. Where did they come from?

Thank you folks. The people are from my Piranesi library and other assorted freebies I picked up on the internet, I think Vonyx was a source.

Che,

Yea, I'm not sure about the nutty angle either, but what the heck. It's only an image, we didn't actually build it that way. :D

• 1 year later...
hi,

Would you be able to model the whole thing in Modo as easily as sketchup?

then stop using sketchup?

I've only had a little go with Modo but it was obvious that it's modelling tools were as good if not better than just about anything out there and that's from a hardened Max user.

I've only had a little go with Modo but it was obvious that it's modelling tools were as good if not better than just about anything out there and that's from a hardened Max user.

Awsome Modeling tools, Very good and ever improving renderer, Decent animation tools, the UV tools are among the best, really good fur-grass, and a whole bunch of presets with 401 that can make work really fly fast in a low down and dirty workflow.

hi,

Would you be able to model the whole thing in Modo as easily as sketchup?

then stop using sketchup?

I'm not a very good Modo modeler. If I took the time to learn, I would certainly get better, but SketchUp makes most projects like this a snap. I can knock out a model in SketchUp in no time compared to Modo.

What is especially important is the ability to make CHANGES quickly. SketchUp makes this a breeze. I don't think I could totally model this stuff in Modo in the time that is usually allowed.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a complete Modo convert after 10 years of using Maya. Once you really learn to use the tools, you will be completely shocked at how incredibly quickly things can be done. Combine amazing tools with the most intuitively customizable interface I've ever seen, and you can really fly.

I'm a complete Modo convert after 10 years of using Maya. Once you really learn to use the tools, you will be completely shocked at how incredibly quickly things can be done. Combine amazing tools with the most intuitively customizable interface I've ever seen, and you can really fly.

Exactly and it's gettin a bit of reputation for that and people are starting to slam it some .... tryin' to pick it apart LOL My app is better than your app ;)

i go back and use Max once in a while...and always end saying ????? I did this & that in that app WHY?????? Cause it's compatible with AutoCad ... It takes longer to clean up most crap from AutoCad than it takes to model it in Modo.

Now sketchup is easy, yes, for basic previz and simple stuff sure. Move to far beyond that and it kind of bastardizes a model in a hard rough way. I'm talking about solid polygonal and subD type modeling workflows... and that is not the majority of time used and or needed for day to day ArchViz.

Modo is a great "tool" and 401 is really an advance with presets and such. Making it really easy to get a good looking render fast. For Archviz it's a tool that is ready to use all the way through basic walk throughs and such. To say it can compete just yet with Maya, XSI & Max on the advance VFX level, not really yet... but if the Fur (not HAIR) is any indication of what is to come... could be a really sweet application for everything in the future.

Cheers